Tuesday 21 January 2020

49. Homophones TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 3


TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 3
49. Homophones

Homophones are words that sound the same but are spelt differently. What are the missing homophones in these pairs of sentences?

1
I’m going on a diet. I’ve put on a lot of ___weight___.
Please ___wait___ a minute. I won’t be long.
2
I put on the ______ and the car stopped just in time.
This kind of china ______ very easily. Be careful.
3
Would you like another ______ of cake with your tea?
Everyone wanted the war to end and ______ to begin.
4
Can you untie the ______ in this string?
I’m ______ very good at science. I’m better at languages.
5
I didn’t tell her what was in the parcel. She ______ by feeling it.
She was a ______ at a wedding I went to recently.
6
‘Anyone who ______ gum in class will be sent out.’
I don’t know what to ______ on this menu. There are so many good things.
7
You aren’t ______ to smoke anywhere in this building.
Sorry, I wasn’t talking to anyone in particular. I was just thinking ______.
8
Are you ______ you want to go out in this horrible weather.
Yes, I’d like to go to the beach and walk along the sea ______.
9
That man always ______ at me when I go past his shop. I don’t like it.
Don’t lets take the lift. I want to walk up the ______.
10
I’ve never jumped ______ than that. It’s my personal record.
Where can I ______ ski boots? I don’t have any of my own.
11
There were only ten ______ of seats in the hall so quite a lot of people had to stand.
He gave me a single red ______ on Valentine’s Day.
12
Don’t park there. It’s illegal and you might get ______.
Where is my wallet? I can’t ______ it anywhere.
13
Get me a needle and I’ll ______ this button on for you.
She didn’t pay me back the money last time ______ I refused to lend her any next time she asked.
14
I’ve had this teddy ______ since I was three.
We haven’t yet bought any carpets for our flat. We’ve got ______ floorboards.
15
They’ve ______ the thieves who broke into our car.
I’ve got to go to ______ in three weeks to be witness.


Answer key


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments