Thursday 30 January 2020

2. COMPOUND ADJECTIVES CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE
2. COMPOUND ADJECTIVES

A compound adjective is a combination of two words which function as a single adjective. The two words are often joined with a hyphen.

Task 1. Join one word on the box A with one word on the box B to make compound adjectives.

A
absent-
dark-
eye-
fair-
half-
hand-
hard-
home-
run-
short-
semi-
sun-
three-
well-
world-




B
burnt
catching
detached
down
eyed
famous
haired
hearted
made
minded
off
read
sighted
skilled
skinned
star
tannned
up

Task 2. Use the compound adjectives to complete the following sentences.

1
We stayed in a ________ hotel on the seafront.
2
Everybody has heard of Mel Gibson; he's a ________ actor.
3
After six hours on the beach, he had a terribly ________ face.
4
I can't see very clearly. I'm a bit ________ .
5
It wasn't a particularly ________ tennis racket; it broke soon after I bought it.
6
She was wearing an ________ dress that made heads turn as she walked through the room.
7
All these items are ________ by skilled craftsmen in a local factory.
8
I feel a bit ________. Perhaps I should take more vitamins.
9
My wife comes from a ________ family; they've always had more money than my own family.
10
My grandfather's becoming very ________ . Last week he went to the library in his slippers.
11
To make a bit of money, my sister and I used to sell ________ cakes.
12
He made a ________ attempt to take an interest, but it was obvious he didn't want to be there.
13
My father is a very ________ man. His favourite authors are Orhan Pamuk and Umberto Eco.
14
I live in a rather plain ________ house on the outskirts of Nottingham.
15
There are lots of jobs for ________ workers in the factories in my area.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments