Thursday 23 January 2020

33. The urinary system PROFESSIONAL ENGLISH IN USE FOR MEDICINE


PROFESSIONAL ENGLISH IN USE FOR MEDICINE
33. The urinary system

A
Urinary symptoms

Urine is formed in the kidneys and stored in the bladder until it is passed (or voided).
Patients may say: I have some pain when I pass water/pee
Doctors may say: Are you having any trouble with your waterworks?

Common urinary symptoms and their definitions

frequency
frequent passing of urine
dysuria
burning or scalding pain in the urethra when passing urine
nocturia
urination at night
urgency
urgent need to pass urine
hesitancy
difficulty starting to pass urine
urinary incontinence
involuntary passing of urine
haematuria
macroscopic blood in the urine
B
Urinalysis

Urinalysis is the analysis of urine. Simple screening tests of the urine are carried out with reagent strips, for example Clinistix for the detection of glucose. More detailed tests are carried out in a laboratory on a specimen of urine. Typical specimens are a midstream specimen (MSU) and a catheter specimen (CSU). Microscopic examination may reveal the presence of red blood cells, pus cells, or casts. Casts are solid bodies form by protein or cells.

Plus signs are used in case notes to indicate abnormal findings. A small amount (+) is described as a trace. For a large amount (+++), the words gross or marked can be used, for example gross haematuria. When there is nothing, the word nil is common.





EXERCISES

33.1
Look at the conversation in A opposite and complete the notes about Mr Jones. Use medical terms where possible.

33.2
Match the patients’ descriptions of their symptoms (1-7) with the medical terms (a-g). look at A above to help you.
1
I have to pee every half hour so
2
I get a scalding pain when I pass water
3
I have to get up several times to pass water at night
4
I have to rush to go to the toilet
5
I have trouble getting started
6
I can’t hold my water
7
I passed some blood in my urine

33.3
Write the doctor’s questions for each of the symptoms in 33.2 above. Look at A opposite to help you. You will need to think of your own question for urgency.
33.4
Describe the findings of the laboratory report in words. Look at B opposite to help you.

Answer key


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments