Thursday 30 January 2020

4. CONFUSING PAIRS AND FALSE FRIENDS CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE
4. CONFUSING PAIRS AND FALSE FRIENDS

Confusing pairs are two words which have a similar meaning to each other, but are used in a different way.

or       Are related to the same topic, but have a different meaning.
or        Look similar, but have a different meaning

False friends are words in English which have a similar-looking word in another language but which have a different meaning.

Complete the following sentences with the appropriate word.

1
actually / now
Please can we go home ________ ?
It looks quite small, but ________ it is over 5 metres high.
2
advice / advise
My grandfather gave me a very useful piece of ________ .
I ________ you to put all your money into a deposit account.
3
affect / effect
The cuts in spending will have a serious ________ on the hospital.
The strike will seriously ________ the train service.
4
already / yet
I haven’t seen her ________ this morning.
I’ve ________ done my shopping.
5
afraid of / worried about
I am ________ snakes.
She’s ________ the baby; he doesn’t look very well.
6
avoid / prevent
The police will ________ anyone from leaving the building.
You should travel early to ________ the traffic jams.
7
beside / besides
Come and sit down ________ me.
________ managing the shop, he also teaches in the evening.
8
bring / fetch
It’s your turn to ________ the children from school.
Don’t forget to ________ the books to school with you.
9
chance / possibility
Our team has a good ________ of winning tonight.
There is always the ________ that the plane will be early.
10
channel / canal
You can take a boat trip around the ________s of Amsterdam.
Can you switch the television to ________ 4 for the news?
England and France are separated by the ________ .
11
conduct / direct
Von Karajan will ________ the Berlin Symphonic Orchestra at the concert.
It took two policemen to ________ the traffic.
12
continuous / continual
She has been in ________ pain for three days.
I am getting fed up with her ________ complaints.
13
driver / chauffeur
The ________ brought the Rolls Royce to the hotel’s main entrance.
He’s got a job as a bus ________ .
14
formidable / wonderful
They had a ________ holiday by a lake in Sweden.
The castle is surrounded by ________ walls and gates.
15
fun / funny
I didn’t have much ________ on my birthday.
He made ________ faces and made the children laugh.
16
go / play
Shall we ________ jogging or swimming?
Neither. Let’s ________ tennis.
17
come along with / follow
Would you like to ________ me to the cinema tonight?
Make sure the dog doesn’t ________ me to the shops.
18
harm / damage
Don’t ________ my sunglasses if you borrow them.
He didn’t mean to ________ your little girl.
19
invent / discover
Did Alexander Fleming ________ penicillin?
When did she ________ the new computer terminal?
20
job / work
He goes to ________ every day on his bicycle.
She’s got a ________ in the supermarket.
21
kind / sympathetic
You should always be ________ to little children.
I’m very ________ to her problems.
22
lay / lie
I’m very tired; I’ll just go and ________ down for a few minutes.
My father is going to ________ a new carpet in the dining room.
23
lend / borrow
Can I ________ you car to go to the shops?
He asked me if I would ________ him £5 till Monday.
24
nature / countryside
We must try to protect ________ and the environment.
The English ________ is beautiful in spring.
25
pass / take
She had to ________ her driving test three times before she was able to ________.
26
practice / practise
You need more ________ before you’re ready to take the exam.
Don’t forget to ________ your phrasal verbs.
27
priceless / valueless
Be very careful with that painting; it’s ________ .
Her jewels were all imitations; they were quite ________ .
28
principal / principle
She refuses to eat meat on ________ .
The ________ wants to see you in her office.
The country’s ________ products are paper and wood.
We talked about the ________s of nuclear physics.
29
raise / rise
Does the sun ________ in the east or the west?
The airline are going to ________ their fares again next year.
30
recipe / receipt
Goods cannot be exchanged unless a sales ________ is shown.
I gave her an Indian ________ book for her birthday.
31
remember / remind
Would you ________ me to finish early tonight?
Did you ________ to switch off the kitchen light?
32
scenery / view
I adore the beautiful ________ in the Lake District.
You can get a good ________ of the sea from the church tower.
33
sensible / sensitive
She’s very ________ and is easily upset.
Staying indoors was a ________ thing to do in this terrible weather.
34
take / bring
Can you ________ this cheque to the bank for me please?
Can I ________ my girlfriend here for tea?


ANSWER KEY




No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments