Monday 20 January 2020

42. Verbs: opposites TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 3


TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 3
42. Verbs: opposites

A.                   Match each verb on the left to its opposite in the box on the right.

1
accept
_____refuse_______
appear
2
adore
_______________
criticize
3
attack
_______________
decrease
4
create
_______________
defend
5
encourage
_______________
destroy
6
get worse
_______________
discourage
7
increase
_______________
disobey
8
obey
_______________
improve
9
praise
_______________
loathe
10
vanish
_______________
refuse

B.                   Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs above.
1
Everybody was against him at the meeting. Nobody tries to ____________ him.
2
Her French has ____________ a lot since she started having private lessons.
3
I absolutely ____________ him and I’ll never speak to him again. He’s a cheat and a liar.
4
I got the part in the film thanks to Sandra. She’s the one who ____________ me to try for it.
5
I was following Jake through the forest when suddenly he ____________ and I couldn’t find him.
6
It’s a fantastic book. All the reviews have ____________ it.
7
We offered to lend him the money but he didn’t ____________ it.
8
She’s got a really naughty puppy. It never ____________ her when she tells it to sit.
9
The fire completely ____________ the building. Only one wall was left standing.
10
The man jumped out of the bushes and ____________ me with a knife. It was terrifying.
11
The rent on my flat has ____________ by 20% this year so I won’t be able to afford a holiday.
12
We always leave a light on in the house when we go out to ____________ burglars from breaking in.


Answer key

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments