Monday 20 January 2020

41. Confusing words TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 3


TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 3
41. Confusing words

Underline the correct word in each of the following sentences.

1
Was it Alexander Bell who (invented/discovered) the telephone?
2
The injured man was (laying /lying) on the road close to the crashed cars.
3
Amsterdam is a city full of (channels/ canals).
4
Would you (check/ control) these figures, Mr Brown, just to make sure they’re correct.
5
The (nature/ countryside) around this town is very flat and uninteresting.
6
Could I have a (recipe/ receipt) for the things I’ve bought.
7
Oh, Jan, could you (remember/ remind) me to phone the doctor this afternoon.
8
I wonder if you’d mind (bringing/ fetching) John from next door? He’s wanted on the phone.
9
What (more/ else) did you do in Spain, apart from swimming and sunbathing?
10
Have you made (an appointment/ a meeting) to see the bank manager yet?
11
I’ll have to change this jacket. I bought it to go with my blue trousers, but it doesn’t (suit/ match) them after all.
12
I’ve got no money at all. I’m completely (broken/ broke).
13
He really works hard. He’s so (industrious/ industrial).
14
Why don’t you (take/ bring) your girlfriend next time? We’d love to meet her.
15
She’s very (superstitious/ supernatural). She never walks under ladders and she doesn’t dare go out of the house on Friday 13th.


Answer key

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments