Monday 27 January 2020

50. Physical examination PROFESSIONAL ENGLISH IN USE FOR MEDICINE


PROFESSIONAL ENGLISH IN USE FOR MEDICINE
50. Physical examination

A
Examining patient

When examining  a patient you should:

1.       Introduce yourself, if necessary.
Good morning. I’m Dr Mason

2.      Brief the patient on what he/ she should expect in a clear and simple way.
Do you know what we’re going to do this morning?
What happens is that …
What we’re going today is …
I’ll ask you to …
I’m going to examine your … so I can find out what’s causing this …
Are you ready?
What we do is …
OK?

3.      Instruct the patient in a clear but polite manner (see B below).
4.      Show sensitivity to the patient’s needs and respond to discomfort, reassuring if appropriate.
You might feel a little bit of discomfort?
It will be over very quickly.
This might hurt a little but I’ll be quick.
It won’t take long.
Tell me if it hurts.
You’re doing very well.
Let me know if it’s sore.



5.      Talk the patient through the procedure
I’m just going to …
You’ll feel …
First I’ll …
When it’s over. I’ll …
Then I’ll …
That’s it. All over.
Now, I’m going to …



6.      Share your findings with the patient
Well, I’m fairly certain you’ve got …
One possibility is it could be what we call …
I haven’t found anything to suggest any problems.
B
Giving instructions

When examining a patient, polite forms are often used for the initial instructions:
Could you bend forward as far as you can?
If you could cross your arms in front of your chest?
What I’d like to do is examine you standing up.

After that direct instructions may be used:
Stand with your feet together
Lie perfectly still.

To soften an instruction:
Can you just turn to the side again?
Could you just lie on the couch?





EXERCISES

50.1
Complete the instructions using suitable verbs. Look at Appendix V on page 145 to help you.

1
______________ straight ahead and ______________ your nose with your right forefinger; then with your left forefinger.
2
______________ on the edge of the couch and ______________ your legs hang loosely.
3
______________ your eyelids tightly.
4
______________ all your clothes ______________ down to your underwear.
5
______________ your chest with your chin.
6
______________ slowly and look over your left shoulder.
7
______________ on your side.
8
______________ looking at me.
9
______________ ______________ your sleeve.
10
______________ ______________ the pin, not the light.
50.2
Write instructions to describe the movements in the pictures. Look at Appendix V on page 145 to help you.

50.3
Complete the instructions for a lumbar puncture with words and phrases from A and B above.

Morning Mr Maxwell, all right? Now, (1) _______________? Well, (2) _______________ put a little needle into your spine, and take some fluid off your back to find out what’s giving you these headaches. You might feel (3) _______________



Answer key


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments