Thursday 9 January 2020

64. To …, for … and so that … ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


                    ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
64. To …, for … and so that …

A
Study these examples:
·         I phoned the restaurant to reserve a table.
·         What do you need to make bread?
·         We shouted to warn everybody of the danger.
·         This letter is to confirm the decisions we made at our meeting last week.
·         The president has a team of bodyguards to protect him.

In these examples to ... (to reserve ... /to make ... etc.) tells us the purpose of something: why somebody does something~ has something~ needs something etc. or why something exists.
B
We say 'a place to park ~ 'something to eat'~ 'work to do' etc.:
·         It’s difficult to find a place to park in the centre. (= a place where you can park)
·         Would you like something to eat? (= something that you can eat)
·         Do you have much work to do? (=work that you must do)
·         I get lonely if there is nobody to talk to.
·         I need something to open this bottle with.

Also money/time/chance/opportunity/energy/courage (etc.) to do something:
·         They gave us money to buy food.
·         Do you have much opportunity to practise your English?
·         I need a few days to think about your proposal.
C
Compare for ... and to ...

for + noun
to + verb
·         We stopped for petrol.
·         I had to run for the bus.
·         We stopped to get petrol.
·         I had to run to catch the bus.

You can say 'for somebody to do something':
·         There weren’t any chairs for us to sit on, so we sat on the floor.

You can use for -ing or to ... to talk about the general purpose of something) or what it is generally used for:
·         I use this brush for washing the dishes.           or       ... to wash the dishes.

But we do not use for -ing to say why somebody does something:
·         I went into the kitchen to wash the dishes. (not for washing)

You can use What ... for? to ask about purpose:
·         What is this switch for?
·         What did you do that for?
D
So that

We use so that (not to ... ) especially

when the purpose is negative (so that .. . won't/wouldn't):
·         I hurried so that I wouldn't be late. (= because I didn’t want to be late)
·         Eat something now so that you won't (or don't) get hungry later.

with can and could (so that ... can/could):
·         She is learning English so that she can study in Canada.
·         We moved to London so that we could see our friends more often.

You can leave out that. So you can say:
I hurried so that I wouldn't be late.             or         I hurried so I wouldn’t be late.

EXERCISES
64.1
Choose from Box A and Box B to make a new sentence with to ....


A
B
1
I should
I want to keep warm
2
I opened the box
I want to go to Canada
3
I’m saving money
I wanted to report the accident.
4
I need a knife
I wanted to warn people of the danger
5
I’m wearing two sweaters
I want to chop these onions
6
I phoned the police
I wanted to see what was in it

1
____ I shouted to warn people of the danger. _____________
2
I opened the box ________________________________________
3
I ________________________________________
4
________________________________________
5
________________________________________
6
________________________________________
64.2
Complete these sentences using to+ a suitable verb.

1
The president has a team of bodyguards ___ to protect ____him.
2
I didn't have enough time _______ the newspaper today.
3
I came home by taxi. I didn't have the energy _______.
4
'Would you like something _______ 'Yes, please. A cup of coffee.'
5
We need a bag _______ these things in.
6
There will be a meeting next week _______ the problem.
7
Do you need a visa _______ to the United States?
8
I saw Helen at the party, but we didn't have a chance _______ to each other.
9
I need some new clothes. I don't have anything nice _______.
10
They've just passed their exams. They're having a party _______.
11
I can't do all this work alone. I need somebody _______ me.
64.3
Put in to or for.

1
We stopped ____for______ petrol.
2
You need a lot of experience _______________this job.
3
You need a lot of experience _______________do this job.
4
We'll need more time _______________make a decision.
5
I went to the dentist _______________a check-up.
6
I had to put on my glasses _______________read the paper.
7
Do you have to wear glasses _______________reading?
8
I wish we had a garden _______________the children _______________play in.
64.4
Make one sentence from two, using so that.

1
I hurried. I didn't want to be late. I hurried ___so that I wouldn’t be late. ___________
2
I wore warm clothes. I didn't want to be cold.
I wore warm clothes ____________________________
3
I gave Dan my phone number. I wanted him to be able to contact me.
I gave Dan my phone number ____________________________
4
We whispered. We didn't want anybody else to hear our conversation.
We whispered ____________________________ nobody____________________________
5
Please arrive early. We want to be able to start the meeting on time.
Please arrive early____________________________
6
We made a list of things to do. We didn't want to forget anything.
We made a list of things to do____________________________
7
I slowed down. I wanted the car behind me to be able to overtake.
I slowed down ____________________________

ANSWER KEY

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments