Friday 14 February 2020

30. Other Phrasal Verbs 1 CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE
30. Other Phrasal Verbs 1

Complete the following phrasal verbs with a preposition or particle from the box. The meaning of the phrasal verb is given in brackets at the end of each sentence.

of
on
down
to
up
behind
out in
off
with




1
Some parents are criticised for the way they bring _____ their children. (raise)
2
Jane and Tim fell _____ over the bill for their meal. (argued)
3
They refused to face _____ _____ their responsibilities, with disastrous consequences. (accept an unpleasant state of affairs, and try to deal with it)
4
The team had to call _____ the match because of bad weather. (not to go ahead with something)
5
Can I count _____ you for support?. (rely / depend)
6
I missed a lot of lessons, and it took me a long time to catch _____ _____ the other students in my class. (get to the same level)
7
The storm was terrible, but eventually the rain stopped and the wind died _____. (become less strong)
8
An alarming number of students drop _____ _____ school early every year. (leave)
9
Can you figure _____ why Tony is acting so strangely? (understand)
10
Call the station and find _____ what time the train arrives. (discover)
11
As we grow _____ our priorities change. (change from being children to being adults)
12
Students can be quite creative with the reasons they give for not handing _____ their homework. (giving their teachers)
13
I think that learning English is quite difficult, and I often have problems keeping _____ _____ the others in my class. (work at the same speed as)
14
You haven't completed this cheque properly. You've left _____ the date. (does not include)
15
My teacher pointed _____ all the mistakes I had made in my homework. (show)
16
Before you get angry with them, perhaps you should look _____ the reasons for their absence. (enquire / research)
17
Once people who have borrowed money fall _____ with their payments, they come under a lot of pressure from their bank. (become late)

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments