Saturday 29 February 2020

UNIT 88. All/ all of most/most of no/none of etc. ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 88. All/ all of    most/most of    no/none of etc.

A
all
some
any
most
much/many
little/few
no

You can use the words in the box with a noun (some food /few books etc.):

All cars have wheels.
Some cars can go faster than others.
(on a notice) NO CARS. (=no cars allowed)
Many people drive too fast.
I don't go out very often. I'm at home most days.





You cannot say 'all of cars', 'some of people' etc. (see also Section B):

Some people learn languages more easily than others. (not Some of people)

Note that we say most (not the most):

Most tourists don't visit this part of the town. (not The most tourists)

B
all
some
any
most
much/many
little/few
half
none

You can use these words with of (some of /most of etc.).
So you can say:
some of the people, some of those people (but not some of people)
most of my time, most of the time (but not most of time)

Some of the people I work with are not very friendly.
None of this money is mine.
Have you read any of these books?
I was sick yesterday. I spent most of the day in bed.




You don't need of after all or half. So you can say:

All my friends live in Los Angeles.        or          All of my friends ...
Half this money is mine.                       or             Half of this money ..


Compare:


All flowers are beautiful. (=all flowers in general)
All (of) the flowers in this garden are beautiful. (=a specific group of flowers)
Most problems have a solution. (= most problems in general)
We were able to solve most of the problems we had. (= a specific group of problems)





C
You can use all of /some of /none of etc. + it/us/you/them:

'How many of these people do you know?' 'None of them. /A few of them.'
Do any of you want to come to a party tonight?
'Do you like this music?' 'Some of it. Not all of it.'



We say: all of us /all of you /half of it /half of them et c. You need of before it/us/you/them:

All of us were late. (not all us)
I haven't finished the book yet . I've only read half of it. (not half it)





D
You can also use some/most etc. alone, without a noun:

Some cars have four doors and some have two.
A few of the shops were open, but most (of them) were closed.
Half this money is mine, and half (of it) is yours. (not the half)















EXERCISES

88.1
Put in of where necessary. Leave the space empty if the sentence is already complete.

1
All _____ - _______cars have wheels. (the sentence is already complete)
2
None ________ of _______ this money is mine.
3
Some _______ films are very violent.
Some _______ the films I've seen recently have been very violent.
Joe never goes to museums. He says that all _______ museums are boring.
I think some _______ people watch too much TV.
4
5
6
7
'Do you want any _______ these magazines?' 'No, I've finished with them.'
Kate has lived in London most _______ her life.
Joe has lived in Chicago all _______ his life.
Most _______ days I get up before 7 o'clock.
8
9
10
88.2
Choose from the list and complete the sentences. Use of (some of /most of etc.) where necessary.

accidents
European countries
my dinner
the players
birds
her friends
my spare time
the population
cars
her opinions
the buildings
these books

1
I haven't read many _____ of these books _________.
2
All ______ cars _____  have wheels.
3
I spend much __________  gardening.
Many __________ are caused by bad driving.
It's a historic town. Many __________ are over 400 years old.
When she got married, she kept it a secret. She didn't tell any __________.
Not many people live in the north of the country. Most __________ live in the south.
Not all __________ can fly. For example, the penguin can't fly.
4
5
6
7
8
9
Our team played badly and lost the game. None __________ played well.
Emma and I have very different ideas. I don't agree with many __________.
Sarah travels a lot in Europe. She has been to most __________.
I had no appetite. I could only eat half__________.
10
11
12
88.3
Use your own ideas to complete these sentences.

1
The building was damaged in the explosion. All _____ the windows ______ were broken.
2
We argue sometimes, but get on well most of __________.
I went to the cinema by myself. None of __________ wanted to come.
The test was difficult. I could only answer half __________.
Some of __________ you took at the wedding were very good.
'Did you spend all __________ I gave you?' 'No, there's still some left.'
3
4
5
6
88.4
Complete the sentences. Use:
all of /some of /none of + it/them/us (all of it /some of them etc.)

1
These books are all Jane's. ______ None of them ______ belong to me.
2
How many of these books have you read?' ‘__________. Every one.'
We all got wet in the rain because __________ had an umbrella.
Some of this money is yours and __________ is mine.
I asked some people for directions, but __________ was able to help me.
3
4
5
6
She invented the whole story from beginning to end. __________ was true.
Not all the tourists in the group were Spanish. __________ were French.
I watched most of the film, but not __________.
7
8



ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments