Friday 28 February 2020

UNIT 85. Some and any ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 85. Some and any

A
In general we use some (also somebody/someone/something) in positive sentences and any (also anybody etc.) in negative sentences:

some

We bought some flowers.

He's busy. He’s got some work to do.

There's somebody at the door.

I want something to eat.
any

We didn't buy any flowers.

He's lazy. He never does any work.

There isn't anybody at the door.

I don't want anything to eat.

We use any in the following sentences because the meaning is negative:

She went out without any money. (she didn't take any money with her)
He refused to eat anything. (he didn't eat anything)
It's a very easy exam. Hardly anybody fails. (=almost nobody fails)


B
We use both some and any in questions. We use some/somebody/something to talk about a person or thing that we know exists, or we think exists:

Are you waiting for somebody? (I think you are waiting for somebody)

We use some in questions when we offer or ask for things:

Would you like something to eat? (there is something to eat)
Can I have some sugar, please? (there is probably some sugar I can have)


But in most questions, we use any. We do not know if the thing or person exists:

'Do you have any luggage?' 'No, I don't.'
I can't find my bag. Has anybody seen it?

C
We often use any after if:

If anyone has any questions, I'll be pleased to answer them.
Let me know if you need anything.


The following sentences have the idea of if:

I'm sorry for any trouble I've caused. (=if I have caused any trouble)
Anyone who wants to do the exam should tell me by Friday. (=if there is anyone)

D
We also use any with the meaning 'it doesn't matter which':

You can take any bus. They all go to the centre. (=it doesn't matter which bus you take)

'Sing a song.' 'Which song shall I sing?' 'Any song. I don't mind.' (=it doesn't matter which song)

Come and see me any time you want.

We use anybody/anyone/anything/anywhere in the same way:

We forgot to lock the door. Anybody could have come in.
'Let's go out somewhere.' 'Where shall we go?' 'Anywhere. I just want to go out.'


Compare something and anything:

A: I'm hungry. I want something to eat.
B: What would you like?
A: I don't mind. Anything. (= it doesn't matter what)
E
Somebody/someone/anybody/anyone are singular words:

Someone is here to see you .

But we use they/them/their after these words:

Someone has forgotten their umbrella. (=his or her umbrella)
If anybody wants to leave early, they can. (= he or she can)


EXERCISES

85.1
Put in some or any.

1
We didn't buy ____any____ flowers.
Tonight I'm going out with _____________ friends of mine.
2
3
A: Have you seen _____________  good movies recently?
B: No, I haven't been to the cinema for ages.
4
I didn't have _____________ money, so I had to borrow _____________.
Can I have _____________ milk in my coffee, please?
We wanted to buy _____________ grapes, but they didn't have _____________ in the shop.
He did everything himself- without _____________ help.
You can use this card to withdraw money at _____________ cash machine.
5
6
7
8
9
I'd like _____________ information about places of interest in the town.
With the special tourist train ticket, you can travel on _____________ train you like.
Those apples look nice. Shall we buy _____________?
10
11
85.2
Complete the sentences with some- or any-+ -body/-thing/-where.

1
I was too surprised to say _____ anything ______.
There's _____________ at the door. Can you go and see who it is?
Does _____________ mind if I open the window?
I wasn't feeling hungry, so I didn't eat _____________.
You must be hungry. Why don't I get you _____________ to eat?
2
3
4
5
6
Quick, let's go! There's _____________ coming and I don't want _____________ to see us.
Sarah was upset about _____________ and refused to talk to _____________.
This machine is very easy to use. _____________ can learn to use it very quickly.
There was hardly _____________ on the beach. lt was almost deserted.
'Do you live _____________ near Joe?' 'No, he lives in another part of town.'
7
8
9
10
11
'Where shall we go on holiday?' 'Let's go _____________ warm and sunny.'
They stay at home all the time. They never seem to go _____________
I'm going to a meeting now. If _____________ needs me, tell them I'll be back at 11.30.
Why are you looking under the bed? Have you lost _____________?
This is a no-parking area. _____________ who parks here will have to pay a fine.
Jonathan stood up and left the room without saying _____________.
'Can I ask you _____________  ?' 'Sure. What do you want to ask?'
Sue is very secretive. She never tells _____________. (2 words)
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
85.3
Complete the sentences. Use any(+ noun) or anybody/anything/anywhere.






ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments