Wednesday 19 February 2020

51. Money CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE
51. Money

Task 1. VERBS

Look at the conversation between the bank manager and the customer, and fill in the gaps with an appropriate word from the box.

bank
lend
withdraw
earn
owe
afford
save
deposit
borrow
spend
pay back
open

Manager
: So, Mr Jensen. How can I help you?
Customer
: I'd like to (1)__________ £5,000 to buy a new car and I was wondering if your bank could help me.
Manager
: I see. Can I ask if you (2)__________ money to any other banks?
Customer
: Yes; £800 to the MidWest bank.
Manager
: Right. I need to ask you about your salary. Could you tell me how much you (3)__________ each month, and how much of that you usually manage to (4)__________?
Customer
: I make about £1,200 a month, and I usually (5)__________ most of that on rent, bills, food and general living expenses. I usually have about £250 left at the end of the month.
Manager
: If we agree to (6)__________ you the money, how much could you (7)__________ to (8)__________ each month?
Customer
: About £200.
Manager
: Well, that would probably be fine. Now, as you don't currently (9)__________ with us, you must (10)__________ an account here. We will then (11)__________ the £5,000 in that account, and as soon as it goes in, you can (12)__________ it.

Task 2. NOUNS
Explain the difference between the following pairs or groups of words. Use your dictionary to help you.

1
a bank and a building society
2
a current account and a savings account
3
a withdrawal and a deposit
4
a statement and a balance
5
cash and a cheque
6
a credit card, a debit card and a cheque guarantee card.
7
a bill and a receipt
8
a standing order and a direct debit
9
a loan and an overdraft

Now choose one word from each pair or group to complete the sentences below.

1
The best place to invest money, or borrow it when you want to buy a house, is a __________ .
2
The advantage of a __________ is that you can take out money any time using a cheque book or cash card.
3
My husband made a £500 __________ from the bank and then lost it!
4
I have a __________ of £25 in my bank account.
5
The __________ is made out to Mr. Smith.
6
I have a spending limit of £3,000 on my American Express __________ .
7
Goods from this shop cannot be exchanged unless a sales __________ is shown.
8
I pay my electricity bills by __________ . The electric company transfers the money from my bank account to theirs.
9
I couldn't believe it when I looked at my bank statement. I had an __________ of nearly £500!

3. IDIOMS, COLLOQUIALISMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS

How would you feel, happy () or unhappy (), if you...

1
were broke?
2
were hard up?
3
were well-off?
4
were unable to make ends meet?
5
were able to spend money like water?
6
had just paid through the nose for something?
7
were bankrupt?
8
were down on your luck?
9
were penniless?
10
were skint?
11
were loaded?
12
were in the black?
13
were in the red?
14
were on the dole?
15
had money to burn?
16
had a lot of dosh?
17
were strapped for cash?

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments