Thursday 20 February 2020

59. Travel and Holidays CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE
59. Travel and Holidays

Task 1. VERBS.

A. The sentences below describe the different stages of a holiday. Unfortunately, they are in the wrong order. Rearrange them so that they are in the correct order. The first one has been done for you. Use your dictionary to help you find the meaning of the words in bold.

(      )
A few weeks later I went to the airport and checked in for my flight.
(  1   )
I picked up some holiday brochures from the travel agency.
(      )
I spent the next two weeks sunbathing on the beach and sightseeing in the local area.
(      )
Three hours later, we landed.
(      )
I picked the holiday I wanted.
(      )
I left the airport and two hours later arrived at my hotel, where I checked in.
(      )
I found my seat and fastened my safety belt.
(      )
The flight took off at 10 o'clock.
(      )
I then booked my holiday.
(      )
It was with a great deal of reluctance that I eventually checked out of the hotel and returned home.
(      )
All the passengers disembarked.
(      )
I did some shopping in the duty free and then boarded my flight.
(      )
I browsed through the brochures.

Task 2. NOUNS

A. Types of holiday. Look at the types of holiday on the left, and match them with the places you think you might stay in on the right. Most have more than one answer.

Type of holiday
Places
1. a package holiday
2. a camping holiday
3. a cruise
4. a skiing holiday
5. a safari
6. a walking holiday
7. a sailing holiday
8. a caravanning holiday
9. a sightseeing holiday
A. a tent
B. a hotel
C. a resort
D. a youth hostel
E. a caravan
F. a guesthouse
G. a boat's / ship's cabin
H. a villa / chalet

B. Look at the sentences below, and fill in the gaps with an appropriate word from the box.

self-catering
single
tour operator
bed and breakfast (B&B)
shoulder bag
passport
travel agency
tour
foreign currency
voyage
excursion
family
trip
journey
full-board
en-suite
terrace
insurance
double
aisle
half-board
reservation
twin
balcony
all-inclusive
boarding card (USA = boarding pass)
suitcase

1
We're planning a(n) __________ to the seaside at the weekend.
2
The __________ from Southampton to New York by ship took about five days.
3
The best way to see London is by taking a guided __________.
4
Last year they went on a train __________ across China.
5
James is going on a business __________ to Singapore next week.
6
We went to the __________ on the High Street to book our holiday, but they were informed by the __________ that there were no more places left.
7
(At the airport check-in desk) Would you like a seat by the window or one by the __________?
8
Here's your ticket and __________. You're in 33B. It's a no smoking seat.
9
I've just made a list of the things I need to take on holiday with me. First of all I need my __________ so that I can enter the country. I must get __________ in case I have an accident or lose something important. I have to go to the bank to get some __________ and __________. Oh, and of course I need my __________ to carry my clothes and other things. I'll also take a __________ so that I can carry my camera, some books and other bits and pieces.
10
Quattro Vientos Holiday Club offers a variety of accommodation options. If you want a bedroom and something to eat in the morning, they have __________ accommodation. If you prefer to have breakfast and dinner, you can stay on a __________ basis. If you want breakfast, lunch and dinner, you can stay on a __________ basis. They also have rooms with cooking facilities if you want to prepare your own food and stay on a __________ basis. Alternatively, if you want all your meals and drinks included, you can stay on an __________ basis.
11
__________ rooms in the hotel have just one small bed. _________ rooms have two small beds. __________ rooms have one large bed. __________ rooms have one large bed and two small beds. Most of the rooms are __________, with their own private bath or shower. All rooms have a __________ or a __________ with a view of the sea. Telephone 01645 98109 to make a __________.

3. IDIOMS, COLLOQUIALISMS AND OTHER EXPRESSIONS

Match the sentences on the left with a suitable reply on the right. Use your dictionary to check the meanings of the expressions in bold.

HE SAID
SHE REPLIED
1. Where shall we stay?
2. Can you recommend a good guest house in this area?
3. Last year I went to Australia, Canada, Brazil, Argentina and China.
4. How are we going to get home? We haven't got enough money for a taxi.
5. Last year, we went to one of those resorts where everything - food and drink - is free.
6. You don't have much luggage with you.
7. On my first visit to Indonesia, I found everything so different from England.
8. We left London at 7 o'clock in the morning and didn't arrive in Inverness until 8 in the evening!
9. I love going to busy, lively resorts for my holiday.
10. I spend most of my life travelling, moving from one hotel to the other.
A. Really? I prefer to go somewhere a bit quieter, off the beaten track.
B. Wow! I didn't realise you were such a globetrotter!
C. Poor you! You spent a whole day on the road.
D. Let's stop at the first hotel we find.
E. I would hate to live out of a suitcase like that.
F. Why don't we thumb a lift?
G. It sounds great. I've never been on an all-inclusive holiday.
H. Yes, there's a nice B & B around the corner.
I. I know. I prefer to travel light.
J. I experienced similar culture shock when I went to Vietnam.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments