Wednesday 19 February 2020

49. Learning languages CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR FCE
49. Learning languages

Complete the sentences with a word or words from the box.

challenging
look it up
parrot-fashion
coming along
monolingual
get by
rewarding
mother tongue
pick some up
accent
multi-lingual
communicate
self-access centre
recycle
lingua franca
native
progress
fluent
second language
bi-lingual
pronunciation




1
People speak lots of different languages in my country, but the __________ is English - it is used in business, politics and education as the main language of communication.
2
My school has an excellent __________ where we can listen to tapes, watch videos and use computers to improve our English.
3
I have terrible problems with my English __________. Nobody can understand a word I say.
4
Always carry a good dictionary around with you. If you don't understand a word, you can then __________.
5
When you learn a new word, you should try to __________ it as much as possible in your written and spoken English.
6
I didn't learn Spanish at school, but I managed to __________ when I was travelling around Spain.
7
He has an unusual __________; it's not British, and it's not American. It's something in between.
8
There are two types of dictionary you can use; a __________ one, which gives a translation of the word, and a __________ one, which explains the word in the same language.
9
I think my English is __________ well. Last year I passed my PET exam, this year I passed my FCE, and now I'm studying for the CAE. I can definitely say that I'm making good __________.
10
Of course I speak good English. I've spoken it all my life. It's my __________. I also speak French as a __________.
11
My English, French, Spanish and Portuguese are __________. I speak them perfectly, like a __________ of those countries. I suppose you could say that I'm __________.
12
When I learnt German at school, I learnt it __________; we listened to the teacher and simply repeated what he said. I never learnt to use it properly.
13
My Italian isn't great, but when I go to Italy I can usually __________ in restaurants, shops, bars, etc. Basically, people understand what I'm trying to say.
14
Learning a language can be __________, but it is always __________, especially when you find you can __________ with people in their own country.

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments