Sunday 23 February 2020

UNIT 83. A friend of mine my own house on my own/by myself. ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 83. A friend of mine     my own house     on my own/by myself.

A
A friend of mine /a friend of yours etc.

We say '(a friend) of mine/yours/his/hers/ours/theirs'.
A friend of mine= one of my friends:

I'm going to a wedding on Saturday. A friend of mine is getting married. (not a friend of me)

We went on holiday with some friends of ours. (not some friends of us)
Mike had an argument with a neighbour of his.
It was a good idea of yours to go to the cinema.



In the same way we say '(a friend) of my sister's /(a friend) of Tom's' etc.:

That woman over there is a friend of my sister's. (=one of my sister's friends)
It was a good idea of Tom's to go to the cinema.

B
My own ... /your own ... etc.

We use my/your/his/her/its/our/their before own:

my own house           your own car                  her own room
(not an own house, an own car etc.)

My own ... /your own ... etc.= something that is only mine/yours, not shared or borrowed:

I don't want to share a room with anybody. I want my own room.
Vicky and Gary would like to have their own house.
It's a shame that the apartment hasn't got its own parking space.
It's my own fault that I've got no money. I buy too many things I don't need.
Why do you want to borrow my car? Why don't you use your own? (=your own car)





You can also say 'a room of my own', 'a house of your own', 'problems of his own' etc. :

I'd like to have a room of my own.
He won't be able to help you with your problems. He has too many problems of his own.

C
We also use own to say that we do something ourselves instead of somebody else doing it for us.
For example:

Brian usually cuts his own hair. (=he cuts it himself; he doesn't go to a barber)

I'd like to have a garden so that
I could grow my own vegetables. (=grow them myself instead of buying them from shops)
D
On my own /by myself

On my own and by myself both mean 'alone'. We say:

I like living on my own /by myself.
'Did you go on holiday on your own /by yourself?' 'No, with a friend.'
Jack was sitting on his own /by himself in a corner of the cafe.
Learner drivers are not allowed to drive on their own /by themselves.






EXERCISES

83.1
Write new sentences with the same meaning. Change the underlined words and use the structure in Section A (a friend of mine etc.).
1
I am meeting one of my friends tonight.
____I’m meeting a friend of mine tonight.__
2
We met one of your relatives.
We met a ______________________
3
Jason borrowed one of my books.
Jason ______________________
4
Lisa invited some of her friends to her flat.
Lisa ______________________to her flat.
5
We had dinner with one of our neighbours.
______________________
6
I went on holiday with two of my friends.
______________________
7
Is that man one of your friends?
______________________
8
I met one of lane's friends at the party.
______________________at the party.
9
it's always been one of my ambitions to travel round the world.
______________________to travel round the world.
83.2
Complete the sentences using my own /our own etc. +the following:

bedroom
business
opinions
private beach
words

1
I share a kitchen and bathroom, but I have ______my own bedroom____________.
2
Gary doesn't think the same as me. He's got _________________.
Julia is fed up with working for other people. She wants to start _________________.
In the test we had to read a story, and then write it in _________________.
We stayed at a luxury hotel by the sea. The hotel had _________________.
3
4
5
83.3
Complete the sentences using my own /your own etc.

1
Why do you want to borrow my car? Why don't you ____ use your own car_____?
2
How can you blame me? it's not my fault. It's _________________.
She's always using my ideas. Why can't she use _________________?
3
4
Please don't worry about my problems. You've got _________________.
I can't make his decisions for him. He must make _________________.
5
83.4
Complete the sentences using my own /your own etc. Use the following verbs:

bake
clean
cut
make
write

1
Brian never goes to a barber.
He ______________ cuts his own hair______
2
Helen doesn't often buy clothes.
She usually ________________________.
3
We don't often buy bread.
We usually ________________________.
4
I'm not going to clean your shoes.
You can ________________________.
5
Paul and Joe are singers.
They sing songs written by other people, but they also ________________________.
83.5
Complete the sentences using my own /myself etc.

1
Did you go on holiday on _____your own_____?
I'm glad I live with other people. I wouldn't like to live on ________________.
The box was too heavy for me to lift by________________.
Who was Tom with when you saw him?' ~Nobody. He was by________________.
2
3
4
5
Very young children should not go swimming by ________________.
I don't think she knows many people. When I see her, she is always by ________________.
I don't like strawberries with cream. I like them on ________________.
Do you like working with other people or do you prefer working by ________________.We had no help decorating the flat. We did it completely on ________________.
I went out with Sally because she didn't want to go out on ________________.
6
7
8
9
10

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments