Saturday 25 December 2021

16. EDUCATION CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

16. EDUCATION

 

A. Choose the most suitable verb from the box. Change the form of the verb where necessary.

send

study

get

take

do

start

1

My daughter’s five and she’s just ____________ school.

2

I’m going to ____________ a course on financial management.

3

His parents decided to ____________ him to boarding school.

4

Dave is ____________ to be an engineer.

5

My son’s just ____________ a place at university.

6

Harry’s decided to ____________ a gap-year, before going to university next year.

 

B. Choose the right word or phrase.

7

Joanna’s doing/making research into the environmental impact of global warming.

8

A recent study has been done/ made to investigate the beneficial effects of tea.

9

 My exams are coming up and I’ve got a lot of revision to do/ make.

10

Tony dropped out of/ left the university and started work as a builder.

11

I can’t decide whether to do/ make Spanish of French next year.

12

I’m taking/ studying evening classes in Computer Science.

13

Gary’s in/ at university in Manchester. He’s reading/ learning English Literature.

14

I’ve got an essay to hand in/ give over on Monday morning, so I’d better get on with some work.

15

Research had been conducted/ performed into the hazards of working in a noisy environment.

 

C. Which of these expressions is not a natural collocation?

16

take/ have/ study/ go to lessons

17

do/ read/ study/ make a subject at university

18

get/ take/ do/ read a degree

19

pass/ take/ lose/ fail/ do an exam

20

private/ further/ lower/ higher education

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 15 YOUTH AND AGE

ANSWER KEY


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments