Wednesday 22 December 2021

6. GETTING AROUND CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

6. GETTING AROUND

 

A. Which of these expressions is not a natural collocation?

1

travel/ go on/ set off on a journey

2

go on a travel/ an excursion/ a day trip/ a cruise

3

a seasoned/ holiday/ commercial/ business traveller

4

travel by sea/ by rail/ by foot/ by land

5

travel on a train/ tram/ taxi/ boat

6

ride a bike/ horse/ car/ camel

 

B. Choose the most natural-sounding word or phrase.

7

A: When are you setting off on your travels/ travel?

B: I’m off/ gone tomorrow. I’ve packed/ filled my bags and I’m all ready to move/ go!

8

The journey takes/ needs around two and half hours.

9

The transport/ transportation connections are very good. It’s very easy to get around/ travel the city without a car.

10

I was already on road/ my way to the station when you called.

11

A: Are we there yet/ here yet?

B: It’s not far/ near now!

12

You can fly non-stop/ without stops to China if you want, but it costs a bit more.

13

The last section/ leg of the journey was the most difficult, as we had to go by donkey.

14

The band are going to be on/ in tour in June and July.

15

My brother bought me an MP3 player. It’s handy when you’re on the move/ moving.

 

C. Match the two parts of the sentences.

16

At the very latest, we need to be on ..

a

public transport.

17

They decided to go away ….

b

a look at the map.

18

It only takes …..

c

the road by nine o’clock.

19

I think we need to have …

d

an hour to get to the station.

20

It would be better to go by …

e

for the weekend.

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 5 HEALTH AND SICKNESS

ANSWER KEY


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments