Wednesday 22 December 2021

7. DIRECTIONS CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

7. DIRECTIONS

 

A. Which of these two versions sounds more natural?

1

a

He’s travelled far and wide.

b

He’s travelled wide and far.

2

a

We’ve been there and here.

b

We’ve been here and there.

3

a

She keeps flying to and fro.

b

She keeps flying fro and to.

4

a

Good to see you about and out.

b

Good to see you out and about.

5

a

Right then. Onwards and upwards.

b

Right then. Upwards and onwards.

 

B. Direction or Directions? Choose the right word to complete these collocations.

6

I don’t have a very good sense of _____________ and I always get lost in new cities.

7

We didn’t have a map, so we had to stop the car to ask for _____________.

8

You’re going in the right _____________-just keep going straight on, and you’ll see the sign.

9

Just look at your hair! It’s going in all _____________, because the wind.

10

Could you give me _____________ while I’m driving? I’ve no idea how to get there.

11

If you follow my _____________ you’ll have no problem finding the place.

12

I told him where to go, but he set off in the opposite _____________.

 

C. Which of these expressions is not possible to complete the sentence?

13

The dog was running __________ in the park.

a

side to side

b

round and round

c

up and down

14

He has travelled __________ in the last two weeks.

a

far distances

b

great distances

c

a long way

15

Excuse me, I’ve __________. Could you tell me the way to the station, please?

a

lost my way

b

lost myself

c

lost my bearings

16

Don’t worry about your dog. I’m sure he’ll __________.

a

find his way home

b

make his own way back

c

return homewards

17

Where are we, anyway? We seem to be __________.

a

at the end of the world

b

in the back of beyond

c

in the middle of nowhere

18

I think we might have __________ a couple a miles back.

a

taken a wrong turning

b

gone the wrong way

c

mistaken our path

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 6 GETTING AROUND

ANSWER KEY


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments