Monday 27 December 2021

19. SHOPPING CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

19. SHOPPING

 

A. Which of these expressions is not a natural collocation?

1

He’s a regular/ good/ loyal/ usual customer.

2

Let’s go shopping/ for a shop/ round the shops/ on a shopping spree.

3

It’s a shopping/ department/ chain/ convenience store.

4

It’s a shopping trolley/ keeper/ bag/ precinct.

 

B. Which is the most natural-sounding answer?

5

A: Do you go/ do shopping often?

B: Not really, I prefer shopping/ ordering stuff online.

6

It’s a bit exhausting going round/ into the January sales seeking/ hunting for bargains.

7

I haven’t done/ made my Christmas shopping yet and there’s only fifteen more days for shopping/ shopping days till Christmas!

8

If you’re going out, could you pick up/ bring some things from the shop for me, please?

9

I’m afraid this model is out of stock/ not in the shop at the moment, but I could demand/ order it for you.

10

I prefer to go to the supermarket on Monday mornings because I hate being in a line/ standing in a queue to pay for my groceries.

11

Refunds can only be given within 30 days of purchase/ buying upon presentation of a valid receipt. Goods may be exchanged/ changed after this date at the company’s discretion.

12

There were quite a few market stall holders/ sellers at the monthly farm sale/ farmer’s market.

13

Local traders/ sellers are complaining about the large out-of-town retail outlets/ shops which have opened in the last few years.

14

I don’t like shopping in that town any more. It’s all chain shops/ stores and shop/ shopping precincts – all the nice little independent/ private shops have gone.

15

Customers with five items/ things or fewer can use the rapid/ express checkouts.

 

C. Match the two parts of the sentences.

16

I think you should splash out

a

wholesale.

17

Go on! Treat yourself …

b

a bargain.

18

She snapped up …

c

of drinks.

19

They were very cheap. I bought them …

d

to a new dress.

20

Let me buy the next round …

e

on a nice weekend.

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 18 HOUSEWORK

ANSWER KEY


               

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments