Monday 27 December 2021

26. NUMBERS AND STATISTICS CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

26. NUMBERS AND STATISTICS

 

A. Match the two parts of the sentences.

1

He counted up the number of days …

a

an estimate.

2

I can’t keep track …

b

for figures.

3

She’s got a good head …

c

in numbers.

4

I don’t know precisely, but I can make ….

d

on his fingers.

5

There seems to have been a significant reduction …

e

of how many there are.

 

B. Correct these sentences.

6

I’ve lost the count of how many.

7

So 512 x 9 +336. What does that come at in total?

8

How many do you calculate it?

9

That gives us a total fifteen.

 

C. Which of these is not a natural collocation?

10

large/ big/ vast/ huge number

11

unemployment/ sales/ double/ price figures

12

work out the answer/ figures/ money/ price/ cost/ finances

13

A rough guess/ idea/ estimate/ approximation

 

D. Which is the most natural-sounding answer? Other collocations are in bold type.

14

I’ve had a look at the figures but they don’t seem to add up. I think I’ve done/ made a mistake.

15

Unemployment figures are low/ small but inflation rates are high/ big at the moment.

16

The numbers of students studying Latin has fallen sharply/ heavily in the past five years.

17

I’ve been keeping/ doing a mental count, and I make it twenty seven.

18

I can’t keep track/ record of how many girlfriends he’s had since I’ve known him.

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 25 MONEY 2

ANSWER KEY


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments