Monday 27 December 2021

25. MONEY 2 CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

25. MONEY 2

 

A. Choose the correct word or phrase.

1

This machine does not give change. Please have the _______________ ready.

a

precise figure

b

right money

c

exact change

2

His great-aunt left him a considerable _______________ of money.

a

sum

b

figure

c

quantity

3

Have you seen his new sports car? It must have _______________.

a

been a big expense

b

cost a fortune

c

had a high price

4

I’m _______________ to go on a round-the-world trip next year.

a

saving up

b

banking some money

c

putting money in the bank

5

Could you lend me some coins for the coffee machine? I haven’t got any _______________.

a

coinage

b

loose change

c

small change

 

B. Which of these two versions sounds more natural?

6

a. He’s famous and rich.

b

He’s rich and famous.

7

a. She only wanted fame and fortune.

b

She only wanted fortune and fame.

8

a. I couldn’t get any for love nor money.

b

I couldn’t get any for money nor love.

9

a. The business went to rack and ruin.

b

The business went to ruin and rack.

 

C. Choose the correct words to complete the collocation.

10

The cost/ price of living is already high and it is steadily gaining/ increasing.

11

I need to exchange/ change some money. What’s the exchange/ change rate today?

12

I’m down/ back to my last fiver. I need to get/ take some money from the cash point.

13

I’ve had an account with/ in this bank for five years and always ad a healthy/ rich bank balance.

 

D. Which of these is not a natural collocation?

14

economic climate/ fortune/ development/ growth

15

monetary policy/ economy/ control/ reform

16

financial currency/ backing/ difficulties/ year

17

Tax benefits/ break/ income/ evasion

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 24 MONEY 1

ANSWER KEY


               

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments