Thursday 23 December 2021

12. FAMILIES CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

 

CHECK YOUR VOCABULARY FOR NATURAL ENGLISH COLLOCATIONS

12. FAMILIES

 

A. Which are the most natural-sounding answers? Other collocations are in bold type

1

Jenny comes from a large/ big family but I’m a single/ an only child.

2

There’s no one in my near/ immediate family with curly hair.

3

He’s a talented musician – he takes /gets it from his mother.

4

Jody is a spoilt/ ruined child with over-protective parents.

5

I’ve got a distant relative/ far relation who works in the film industry.

6

They’ve all got red hair. It goes/ runs in the family.

7

I’m afraid Mr Harris is critically ill. We need to notify his next of kin/ closest relation.

8

It’s natural for a waiting/ an experiment mother to worry about her unborn child.

 

B. Which of these two versions sounds more natural?

9

a

I told all my relations and friends.

b

I told all my friends and relations.

10

a

He is my own flesh and blood, after all

b

He is my own blood and flesh, after all

11

a

They are brother and sister.

b

They are sister and brother.

12

a

I went to see my dad and mum.

b

I went to see my mum and dad.

13

a

I now pronounce you wife and man.

b

I now pronounce you man and wife.

 

C. Choose the most suitable verb from the box. Change the form of verb where necessary.

start

bring

have

raise

give

14

Claire’s going ___________________ a baby in early March.

15

I’m used to being around animals – I was ___________________ up on a farm.

16

It’s very hard to ___________________ a family on a single income.

17

They decided not to ___________________ a family until they had enough money to buy a house.

18

Linda decided she wanted to ___________________ birth at home, instead of at hospital.

 CLICK HERE FOR UNIT 11 HOLIDAYS

ANSWER KEY


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments