Saturday 4 January 2020

51. Auxiliary verbs (have/do/can etc.) I think so/ I hope so etc.ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
51. Auxiliary verbs (have/do/can etc.)
I think so/ I hope so etc.

A
In each of these sentences there is an auxiliary verb and a main verb:

I
She
The hotel
Where
have
can’t
was
do you
lost
come
built
live?
my keys.
to the party.
ten years ago

In these examples have/can't/was/do are auxiliary (=helping) verbs.

You can use an auxiliary verb when you don't want to repeat something:
·         'Have you locked the door?' 'Yes, I have.' (=I have locked the door)
·         Gary wasn't working, but Laura was. (= Laura was working)
·         Jessica could lend me the money, but she won't. (=she won't lend me the money)

Use do/does/did for the present and past simple:
·         'Do you like onions?' 'Yes, I do.' (=I like onions)
·         'Does Simon live in London?' 'He did, but he doesn't any more.'

You can use auxiliary verbs to deny what somebody says(= say it is not true):
·         'You're sitting in my place.' 'No, I'm not.' (=I'm not sitting in your place)
·         'You didn't lock the door before you left.' 'Yes, I did.' (=I locked the door)
B
We use have you? /isn't she? /do they? etc. to show interest in what somebody has said, or to show surprise:

·         'I've just seen Stephen.' 'Oh, have you? How is he?'
·         'Lisa isn't very well today.' 'Oh, isn't she? What's wrong with her?'
·         'It rained every day during our holiday.' 'Did it? What a shame!'
·         'James and Tanya are getting married.' 'Are they? Really?'
C
We use auxiliary verbs with so and neither:

·         'I'm tired.' 'So am 1.' (=I'm tired too)
·         'I never read newspapers.' 'Neither do 1.' (= I never read newspapers either)
·         Sarah hasn't got a car and neither has Mark.

Note the word order after so and neither (verb before subject):
·         I passed the exam and so did Paul. (not so Paul did)

Instead of neither, you can use nor. You can also use not ... either:
'I don't know.' 'Neither do 1.' or 'Nor do 1 .' or 'I don't either.'
D
I think so /I hope so etc.

After some verbs we use so when we don't want to repeat something:
'Are those people Korean?' 'I think so.' (= I think they are Korean)
'Will you be at home this evening?' 'I expect so. (= I expect I'll beat home ... )
'Do you think Kate has been invited to the party?' 'I suppose so.'

In the same way we say: I hope so, I guess so and I'm afraid so.

The usual negative forms are:
I think so /I expect so
I hope so /I'm afraid so /I guess so
I suppose so
I don't think so /I don't expect so
I hope not /I'm afraid not /I guess not
I don't suppose so or I suppose not

·         'Is that woman American?'    'I think so. / I don't think so.'
·         Do you think it will rain?'      'I hope so. /I hope not.' (not I don't hope so)

EXERCISES
51.1
Complete each sentence with an auxiliary verb (do/was/could etc.). Sometimes the verb must be negative (don't/wasn't etc.).

1
I wasn't tired, but my friends ____were_____.
2
I like hot weather, but Ann ________
3
'Is Andy here?' 'He ________ five minutes ago, but I think he's gone home now.'
4
Liz said she might call me later this evening, but I don't think she _________.
5
'Are you and Chris coming to the party?' 'I ______, but Chris ______ .’
6
I don't know whether to apply for the job or not. Do you think I ________________?
7
'Please don't tell anybody what I said.' 'Don't worry. I ___________.'
8
'You never listen to me.' 'Yes, I __________!'
9
I thought it was going to rain, but it __________.
10
'Please help me.' 'I'm sorry. I ________if I __________, but I _______.’
51.2
You never agree with Sue. Answer in the way shown.

Sue
You
1
I'm hungry.
___Are you? I’m not. ______
2
I'm not tired.
___ Aren’t you? I am _______
3
I like football.
___________________________________
4
I didn't enjoy the film.
___________________________________
5
I've never been to Australia.
___________________________________
6
I thought the exam was easy.
___________________________________
51.3
You are talking to Tina. If you're in the same position as Tina, reply with So ... or Neither ... , as in the first example. Otherwise, ask questions as in the second example.


Tina
You
1
I'm tired.
___So am I ______
2
I work hard.
___ Do you? What do you do?_______
3
I watched television last night.
___________________________________
4
I won't be at home tomorrow.
___________________________________
5
I like reading. I read a lot.
___________________________________
6
I'd like to live somewhere else.
___________________________________
7
I can't go out tonight.
___________________________________
51.4
In these conversations, you are B. Read the information in brackets and then answer with I think so, I hope not etc.

1
(You don't like rain.)
A: Is it going to rain?     B: (hope) ________I hope not_______________
2
(You need more money quickly.)
A: Do you think you'll get a pay rise soon?              B: (hope) __________________________
3
(You think Katherine will probably get the job that she applied for.)
A: Do you think Katherine will get the job?              B: (expect) ______________________________
4
(You're not sure whether Amy is married - probably not.)
A: Is Amy married?                                                    B: (think) ____________________________
5
(You are the receptionist at a hotel. The hotel is full.)
A: Have you got a room for tonight?                        B: (afraid) ________________________
6
(You're at a party. You have to leave early.)
A: Do you have to leave already?                              B: (afraid) __________________________________
7
(Ann normally works every day, Monday to Friday. Tomorrow is Wednesday.)
A: Is Ann working tomorrow?                                 B: (suppose) _________________
8
(You are going to a party. You can't stand John.)
A: Do you think John will be at the party?              B: (hope) ______________________________
9
(You're not sure what time the concert is - probably 7.30.)
A: Is the concert at 7.30?                                           B: (think) ___________________________________

ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments