Saturday 4 January 2020

50. Questions 2 (Do you know where …?/ He asked me where ….) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
50. Questions 2 (Do you know where …?/ He asked me where ….)

A
Do you know where ... ? /I don't know why ... /Could you tell me what ... ? etc.


When the question (Where has Tom gone?) is part of a longer sentence (Do you know ...? /
I don't know ... /Can you tell me ... ? etc.), the word order changes. We say:

What time is it?
Who are those people?
Where can I find Louise?
How much will it cost?
but
Do you know what time it is?
I don't know who those people are
Can you tell me where I can find Louise?
Do you have any idea how much it will cost?

Be careful with do/does/did questions. We say:
What time does the film start?

What do you mean?
Why did she leave early?
but
Do you know what time the film starts?
(not does the film start)
Please explain what you mean.
I wonder why she left early.

Use if or whether where there is no other question word (what, why etc.):
Did anybody see you?
but
Do you know if anybody saw you? or ... whether anybody saw you?
B
He asked me where ... (reported questions)

The same changes in word order happen in reported questions. Compare:
direct reported
The police officer said to us 'Where are you going?'
The police officer asked us where we were going.
direct reported
Clare said 'What time do the banks close?'
Clare wanted to know what time the banks closed.

In reported speech the verb usually changes to the past (were, closed etc.). See Unit 47.

Study these examples. You had an interview for a job and these were some of the questions the interviewer asked you:

·       Are you willing to travel?
·       What do you do in your spare time?
·       How long have you been working in your present job?
·       Why did you apply for the job?
·       Can you speak any other language?
·       Do you have a driving licence?

Later you tell a friend what the interviewer asked you. You use reported speech:
·         She asked if (or whether) I was willing to travel.
·         She wanted to know what I did in my spare time.
·         She asked how long I had been working in my present job.
·         She asked why I had applied for the job. (or ... why I applied)
·         She wanted to know if (or whether) I could speak any other languages.
·         She asked if (or whether) I had a driving licence.

EXERCISES
50.1
Which is right? Tick (√)the correct alternative.

1
a
Do you know what time the film starts?
5
a
Why you didn't phone me yesterday?

b
Do you know what time does the film start?

b
Why didn't you phone me yesterday?

c
Do you know what time starts the film?

c
Why you not phoned me yesterday?

2
a
Why Amy does get up so early every day?

6
a
Do you know where does Helen work?

b
Why Amy gets up so early every day?

b
Do you know where Helen does work?

c
Why does Amy get up so early every day?

c
Do you know where Helen works?

3
a
I want to know what this word means.

7
a
How much it costs to park here?

b
I want to know what does this word mean.

b
How much does it cost to park here?

c
I want to know what means this word.

c
How much it does cost to park here?

4
a
I can't remember where did I park the car.

8
a
Tell me what you want.

b
I can't remember where I parked the car.

b
Tell me what you do want.

c
I can't remember where I did park the car.

c
Tell me what do you want.

50.2
Put the words in the correct order.

1
(don't /Tom /where /know /gone /has)
___I don’t know where Tom has gone.____________
2
(is /to the airport /far /it)
________How _______________________?_______
3
(wonder /is /how /old /Tom)
_____ I__________________________.
4
(Lisa /on holiday /going /is)
______When __________________?__________________
5
(tell /the post office /you /me /is /where)
Could ____________________________________________
6
(in the accident /injured /anyone /don't /whether /know /was)
I _____________________________________________________
7
(what /tomorrow /know /time /will /arrive /you /you)
Do _________________________________________________
50.3
You have been away for a while and have just come back to your home town. You meet Tony, a friend of yours. He asks you a lot of questions:

1
How are you?
2
Where have you been?
3
How long have you been back?
4
What are you doing now?
5
Why did you come back?
6
Where are you living?
7
Are you glad to be back?
8
Do you have any plans to go away again?
9
Can you help me find a job?

Now you tell another friend what Tony asked you. Use reported speech.
1
___ He asked me how I was. ____________-
2
He asked me ________________________
3
He __________________________________
4
______________________________________
5
______________________________________
6
______________________________________
7
______________________________________
8
______________________________________
9
______________________________________



ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments