Thursday 9 January 2020

66. To … (afraid to do) and preposition + -ing (afraid of –ing) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


                                                              ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
66. To … (afraid to do) and preposition + -ing (afraid of –ing)

A
Afraid to (do) and afraid of (do)ing

I am afraid to do something= I don't want to do it because it is dangerous or the result could be bad.

We use afraid to do for things we do intentionally; we can choose to do them or not:
·         This part of town is dangerous. People are afraid to walk here at night.
(=they don't want to walk here because it is dangerous- so they don't)
·         James was afraid to tell his parents what had happened.
(=he didn't want to tell them because he knew they would be angry or worried)

I am afraid of something happening= it is possible that something bad will happen (for example, an accident).

We do not use afraid of -ing for things we do intentionally:
·         The path was icy, so we walked very carefully. We were afraid of falling.
(=it was possible that we would fall- not we were afraid to fall)
·         I don't like dogs. I'm always afraid of being bitten. (not afraid to be bitten)

So, you are afraid to do something because you are afraid of something happening as a result:
I was afraid to go near the dog because I was afraid of being bitten.
B
Interested in (do)ing and interested to (do)

I'm interested in doing something= I'm thinking of doing it, I would like to do it:
·         Let me know if you're interested in joining the club. (not to join)
·         I tried to sell my car, but nobody was interested in buying it. (not to buy)

We use interested to ... to say how somebody reacts to what they hear/see/read/learn/ know/find. For example, 'I was interested to hear it' = I heard it and it was interesting for me:
·         I was interested to hear that Tanya left her job.
·         Ask Mike for his opinion. I would be interested to know what he thinks. (=it would be interesting for me to know it)

This structure is the same as surprised to ... /glad to ... etc. (see Unit 65C):
·         I was surprised to hear that Tanya left her job.
C
Sorry to (do) and sorry for/about (do)ing

We use sorry to ... to say we regret something that happens (see Unit 65C):
·         I was sorry to hear that Nicky lost her job. (= I was sorry when I heard that ...)
·         I've enjoyed my stay here. I'll be sorry to leave.

We also say sorry to ... to apologise at the time we do something:
·         I'm sorry to phone you so late, but I need to ask you something.

You can use sorry for or sorry about (doing something) to apologise for something you did before:
·         I'm sorry for (or about) shouting at you yesterday. (not sorry to shout)

You can also say:
·         I'm sorry I shouted at you yesterday.
D
We say:

I want to (do) /I'd like to (do)
I failed to (do)
I allowed them to (do)
but
but
but
I'm thinking of (do)ing /I dream of (do)ing
I succeeded in (do)ing
I prevented them from (do)ing
I stopped them from (do)ing

EXERCISES
66.1
Use the words in brackets to write sentences. Use afraid to ... or afraid of -ing.

1
The streets are unsafe at night.
(a lot of people /afraid /go /out). ____A lot of people are afraid to go out. _______________
2
We walked very carefully along the icy path.
(we /afraid /fall) _____We were afraid of falling._____________________
3
I don't usually carry my passport with me.
(I /afraid /lose /it) ____________________________________________
4
I thought she would be angry if I told her what had happened.
(I /afraid /tell /her) ____________________________________________
5
We rushed to the station.
(we /afraid /miss /our train) ____________________________________________
6
In the middle of the film there was an especially horrifying scene.
(we /afraid /look) ____________________________________________
7
The vase was very valuable, so I held it carefully.
(I /afraid /drop /it) ____________________________________________
8
I thought the food on my plate didn't look fresh.
a (I /afraid /eat /it) ____________________________________________
b (I /afraid /get /sick) ____________________________________________
66.2
Complete the sentences using in ... or to .... Use these verbs:

buy
look
read
get
know
start

1
I'm trying to sell my car, but nobody is interested ___in buying____ it.
2
Julia is interested _____________ her own business.
3
I was interested _____________ your article in the newspaper last week. lt was very well written.
4
Ben wants to stay single. He's not interested _____________ married.
5
I heard from Mark recently. You'll be interested _____________ that he's now working in Paris.
6
I don't enjoy sightseeing. I'm not interested _____________ at old buildings.
66.3
Complete each sentence using sorry for/about ... or sorry to .... Use the verb in brackets.

1
I'm ____sorry to phone _____ you so late, but I need to ask you something. (phone)
2
I was ______________ that you didn't get the job you applied for. (hear)
3
I'm ______________ all those bad things about you. I didn't mean them. (say)
4
I'm ______________ you, but do you have a pen I could borrow? (disturb)
5
I'm ______________ the book you lent me. I'll buy you another one. (lose)
66.4
Complete each sentence using the verb in brackets.

1
a.        We wanted ____to leave _____ the building. (leave)
b.       We weren't allowed _____________the building. (leave)
c.        We were prevented _____________the building. (leave)
2
a.        Peter failed _____________the problem. (solve)
b.       Chris succeeded _____________the problem. (solve)
3
a.        I'm thinking _____________away next week. (go)
b.       I'm hoping _____________away next week. (go)
c.        I'd like _____________away next week. (go)
d.       I'm looking forward _____________away next week. (go)
4
a.        Helen wanted _____________me lunch. (buy)
b.       Helen insisted _____________me lunch. (buy)
c.        Helen promised _____________me lunch. (buy)
d.       Helen wouldn't dream _____________me lunch. (buy)

ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments