Thursday 9 January 2020

67. See somebody and see somebody doing ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


                                              ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
67. See somebody and see somebody doing

A
Study this example situation:
Tom got into his car and drove away. You saw this.
You can say:
·         I saw Tom get into his car and drive away.
In this structure we use get/drive/do etc. (not to get /to drive /to do)

 

But after a passive ('he was seen} etc.)~ we use to:
·         He was seen to get in the car.
B
Study this example situation:
Yesterday you saw Kate. She was waiting for a bus.
You can say:
·         I saw Kate waiting for a bus.
In this structure we use -ing (waiting/doing etc.):
C
Study the difference in meaning between the two structures:

I saw him do something= he did something (past simple) and I saw this. I saw the complete action from beginning to end:
·         He fell off the wall. I saw this. I saw him fall off the wall.
·         The accident happened. Did you see it? Did you see the accident happen?

I saw him doing something= he was doing something (past continuous) and I saw this. I saw him when he was in the middle of doing it. This does not mean that I saw the complete action:

Sometimes the difference is not important and you can use either form:
·         I’ve never seen her dance.           or               I’ve never seen her dancing.
D
We use these structures with see and hear, and a number of other verbs:

·         I didn’t hear you come in. (you came in - I didn’t hear this)
·         Lisa suddenly felt somebody touch her on the shoulder.
·         Did you notice anyone go out?
·         I could hear it raining. (it was raining - I could hear it)
·         A man was seen running away a short time after the break-in.
·         Listen to the birds singing!
·         Can you smell something burning?
·         We looked everywhere for Paul} and finally we found him sitting under a tree in the garden and eating an apple.

EXERCISES
67.1
Complete the answers to the questions.

1
Did anybody go out?
I don't think so. I didn't see ___anybody go out __
2
Has Sarah arrived yet?
Yes, I think I heard her _________________
3
How do you know I took the money?
I know because I saw you _________________
4
Did the doorbell ring?
I don't think so. I didn't hear_________________
5
Can Tom play the piano?
I've never heard_________________
6
Did I lock the door when I went out?
Yes, I saw_________________
7
How did the woman fall?
I don't know. I didn't see_________________
67.2
In each of these situations you and a friend saw, heard or smelt something. Look at the pictures and complete the sentences.

1
____We saw Kate waiting for a bus. __________
2
We saw David and Helen _______________________
3
We saw _______________________in a restaurant.
4
We heard _______________________
5
We could _______________________
6
_______________________
67.3
Complete these sentences. Use the following verbs (in the correct form):

climb
come
crawl
cry
explode
ride
run
say
sing
slam
sleep
tell

1
Listen to the birds ___singing____!
2
I didn't hear you ___come____ in.       
3
We listened to the old man ___________ his story from beginning to end.
4
Listen! Can you hear a baby ___________?
5
I looked out of the window and saw Dan ___________ his bike along the road.
6
I thought I heard somebody ___________ 'Hi', so I looked round.
7
We watched two men ___________ across the garden and ___________ through an open window into the house.
8
Everybody heard the bomb ___________. It was a tremendous noise.
9
Oh! I can feel something ___________ up my leg! It must be an insect.
10
I heard somebody ___________ the door in the middle of the night. It woke me up.
11
When we got home, we found a cat ___________ on the kitchen table.

ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments