Saturday 4 January 2020

53. Verb + ing (enjoy doing/ stop doing etc.) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
53. Verb + ing (enjoy doing/ stop doing etc.)

A
Look at these examples:

·         I enjoy reading. (not I enjoy to read)
·         Would you mind closing the door? (not mind to dose)
·         Chris suggested going to the cinema. (not suggested to go)

After enjoy, mind and suggest, we use -ing (not to ... ).
Some more verbs that are followed by –ing
stop
postpone
admit
avoid
imagine
finish
consider
deny
risk
fancy

·         Suddenly everybody stopped talking. There was silence.
·         I'll do the shopping when I've finished cleaning the flat.
·         He tried to avoid answering my question.
·         I don't fancy going out this evening. (= I'm not enthusiastic about it)
·         Have you ever considered going to live in another country?
·         They said they were innocent. They denied doing anything wrong.

The negative form is not -ing:
·         When I'm on holiday, I enjoy not having to get up early.

B
We also use -ing after:

give up(= stop)
put off(= postpone)
go on or carry on (=continue)
keep or keep on (=do something continuously or repeatedly)

·         I've given up reading newspapers. I think it's a waste of time.
·         Catherine doesn't want to retire. She wants to go on working. (or ... to carry on working.)
·         You keep interrupting when I'm talking! or You keep on interrupting ..

C
With some verbs you can use the structure verb+ somebody+ -ing:
·         I can't imagine George riding a motorbike.
·         You can't stop me doing what I want.
·         Did you really say that? I don't remember you saying that.
·         'Sorry to keep you waiting so long.' 'That's all right.

'Note the passive form (being done/seen/kept etc.):
·         I don't mind being kept waiting. (= I don't mind people keeping me ... )
D
When you are talking about finished actions, you can say having done/stolen/said etc. :
·         They admitted having stolen the money.

But it is not necessary to use having (done). You can also say:
·         They admitted stealing the money.
·         I now regret saying (or having said) what I said.
E
After some of the verbs on this page (especially admit/deny/suggest) you can also use that ... :
They denied that they had stolen the money.    (or They denied stealing ... )
Chris suggested that we went to the cinema.    (or Sam suggested going ...)

EXERCISES
53.1
Complete the sentences for each situation using -ing.

1
A: What shall we do?
B: We could go to the zoo
She suggested ___going to the zoo ______
2
A: Do you want to play tennis?
B: No, not really.
He didn't fancy ______________________________
3
A: You were driving too fast.
B: You're right. Sorry!
She admitted ________________________________
4
A: Let's go swimming.
B: Good idea!
She suggested ________________________________
5
A: You broke the DVD player.
B: No, I didn’t!
He denied ________________________________
6
A: Can you wait a few minutes?
B: sure, no problem.
They didn't mind ________________________________
53.2
Complete each sentence with one of the following verbs (in the correct form):

answer
apply
be
forget
listen
live
lose
make
pay
read
try
use

1
He tried to avoid ____answering___ my question.
2
Could you please stop ______ so much noise?
3
I enjoy ______ to music.
4
I considered ______ for the job, but in the end I decided against it.
5
Have you finished ______ the newspaper yet?
6
We need to change our routine. We can't go on ______ like this.
7
I don't mind you ______ my phone, but please ask me first.
8
My memory is getting worse. I keep ______ things
9
I've put off ______ this bill so many times. I really must do it today.
10
What a stupid thing to do! Can you imagine anybody ______ so stupid?
11
I've given up ______ to lose weight- it's impossible.
12
If you gamble, you risk ______ your money.
53.3
Complete the sentences so that they mean the same as the first sentence.

1
I can do what I want and you can't stop me.
You ___can’t stop me doing_____what I want.
2
It's not a good idea to travel during the rush hour.
It's better to avoid _____________________ during the rush hour.
3
Shall we paint the kitchen next weekend instead of this weekend?
Shall we postpone _______________________ until next weekend?
4
Could you turn the music down, please?
Would you mind _____________, please?
5
Please don't interrupt all the time.
Would you mind __________________ all the time?
53.4
Use your own ideas to complete these sentences. Use -ing.

1
She's a very interesting person. I always enjoy ___talking to her. _______________
2
I'm not feeling very well. I don't fancy __________________
3
I'm afraid there aren't any chairs. I hope you don't mind __________________
4
It was a beautiful day, so I suggested __________________
5
It was very funny. I couldn't stop __________________
6
My car isn't very reliable. It keeps __________________

ANSWER KEY

53.1
2 playing tennis
3 driving too fast
4 going swimming
5 breaking the DVD player
6 waiting a few minutes


53.2
2 making
3 listening
4 applying
5 reading
6 living
7 using
8 forgetting
9 paying
10 being
11 trying
12 losing


53.3
2 travelling
3 painting the kitchen
4 turning the music down
5 not interrupting


53.4
Example answers:
2 going out
3 sitting on the floor
4 having a picnic
5 laughing
6 breaking down

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments