Saturday 4 January 2020

54. Verb + to (decide to …./ forget to … etc.) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
54. Verb + to (decide to …./ forget to … etc.)

A
offer
decide
hope
deserve
promise
agree
plan
manage
afford
threaten
refuse
arrange
fail
forget
learn

After these verbs you can use to ... (infinitive):
·         It was late, so we decided to take a taxi home.
·         Simon was in a difficult situation, so I agreed to help him.
·         How old were you when you learnt to drive? (or learnt how to drive)
·         I waved to Karen, but failed to attract her attention.

The negative is not to ... :
·         We decided not to go out because of the weather.
·         I promised not to be late.

After some verbs to ... is not possible. For example, enjoy/think/suggest:
·         I enjoy reading. (not enjoy to read)
·         Andy suggested meeting for coffee. (not suggested to meet)
·         Are you thinking of buying a car? (not thinking to buy)

For verb+ -ing, see Unit 53. For verb+ preposition+ -ing, see Unit 62.
B
After dare you can use the infinitive with or without to:
·         I wouldn't dare to tell him.             or             I wouldn't dare tell him.

But after dare not (or daren't), you must use the infinitive without to:
·         I daren't tell him what happened. (not I daren't to tell him)
C
We also use to ... after:

seem
appear
tend
pretend
claim

For example:
·         They seem to have plenty of money.
·         I like Dan, but I think he tends to talk too much.
·         Ann pretended not to see me when she passed me in the street.

There is also a continuous infinitive (to be doing) and a perfect infinitive (to have done):
·         I pretended to be reading the paper. (=I pretended that I was reading)
·         You seem to have lost weight. (=it seems that you have lost weight)
·         Joe seems to be enjoying his new job. (= it seems that he is enjoying it)
D
After some verbs you can use a question word (what/whether/how etc.) +to .... We use this structure especially after:
ask
remember
forget
understand
wonder
decide
know
explain
learn


We asked
Have you decided
I don’t know
do you understand
how
where
whether
what
to get
to go
to apply
to do?
to the station.
for your holidays?
for the job or not.

Also
show/tell/ask/advise/teach somebody what/how/where to do something:
·         Can somebody show me how to use this camera?
·         Ask jack. He'll tell you what to do.

EXERCISES
54.1
Complete the sentences for these situations.

1
A: Shall we get married?
B: Yes, let’s.
They decided ____ to get married ______
2
A: Please help me.
B: OK.
She agreed ________________________
3
A: Can I carry your bag for you?
B: No, thanks. I can manage
He offered ________________________
4
A: Let’s meet at 8 o’clock.
B: OK, fine.
They arranged ________________________
5
A: What’s your name?
B: I am not going to tell you.
She refused ________________________
6
A: Please don’t tell anyone.
B: I won’t. I promise.
She promised ________________________
54.2
Complete each sentence with a suitable verb.

1
Don't forget ___to lock____ the door when you go out.
2
There was a lot of traffic, but we managed ______ to the airport in time.
3
We couldn't afford ______ in London. It's too expensive.
4
We've got new computer software in our office. I haven't learnt ______ it yet.
5
Mark doesn't know what happened. I decided not ______ him.
6
We were all afraid to speak. Nobody dared ______ anything.
54.3
Put the verb into the correct form, to ... or -ing. (See Unit 53 for verbs+ -ing.)

1
When I'm tired, I enjoy ____watching_____ television. It's relaxing. (watch)
2
I've decided ____________ for another job. I need a change. (look)
3
Let's get a taxi. I don't fancy ____________ home. (walk)
4
I'm not in a hurry. I don't mind ____________ (wait)
5
Tina ran in a marathon last week, but she failed ____________. (finish)
6
I wish that dog would stop ____________. It's driving me crazy. (bark)
7
Our neighbour threatened ____________ the police if we didn't stop the noise. (call)
8
We were hungry, so I suggested ____________  dinner early. (have)
9
Hurry up! I don't want to risk ___________ the train. (miss)
10
They didn't know I was listening to them. I pretended ________________ asleep. (be)
54.4
Make a new sentence using the verb in brackets.

1
You've lost weight.
(seem)
__You seem to have lost weight.____
2
Tom is worried about something.
(appear)
Tom appears _________________
3
You know a lot of people.
(seem)
You __________________________
4
My English is getting better.
(seem)
______________________________
5
That car has broken down.
(appear)
______________________________
6
David forgets things.
(tend)
______________________________
7
They have solved the problem.
(claim)
______________________________
54.5
Complete each sentence using what/how/where/whether+ these verbs:

do
get
go
put
ride
use

1
Do you know ____ how to get _____to John's house?
2
Would you know ____________ if there was a fire in the building?
3
You'll never forget ____________ a bicycle once you've learnt.
4
I've been invited to the party, but I haven't decided ____________ or not.
5
My room is very untidy. I've got so many things and I don't know ____________ them.
6
I have some clothes to wash. Can you show me ____________ the washing machine?

ANSWER KEY

54.1
2 to help him
3 to carry her bag (for her)
4 to meet at 8 o'clock
5 to tell him her name /to give him her name
6 not to tell anyone


54.2
2 to get
3 to live
4 {how) to use
5 to tell
6 say or to say


54.3
2 to look
3 walking
4 waiting
5 to finish
6 barking
7 to call
8 having
9 missing
10 to be


54.4
2 Tom appears to be worried about something.
3 You seem to know a lot of people.
4 My English seems to be getting better.
5 That car appears to have broken down.
6 David tends to forget things.
7 They claim to have solved the problem.


54.5
2 what to do
3 how to ride
4 whether to go
5 where to put
6 how to use

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments