Monday 6 January 2020

56. Verb + ing or to … 1 (remember/ regret etc.) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
56. Verb + ing or to … 1 (remember/ regret etc.)

A
Some verbs are followed by -ing and some are followed by to ...

Verbs usually followed by -ing:
Verbs usually followed by to ... :
admit
avoid
consider
deny
enjoy
fancy
finish
imagine
keep (on)
mind
postpone
risk
stop
suggest

For examples, see Unit 53.
afford
agree
arrange
decide
deserve
fail
forget
hope
learn
manage
offer
plan
promise
refuse
threaten

For examples, see Unit 54.
B
Some verbs can be followed by -ing or to ... with a difference of meaning:

remember
I remember doing something= I did it and now I remember this.
You remember doing something after you have done it.
·         I know I locked the door. I clearly remember locking it.
(=I locked it, and now I remember this)
·         He could remember driving along the road just before the accident, but he couldn't remember the accident itself.
I remembered to do something= I remembered that I had to do it, so I did it.
You remember to do something before you do it.
·         I remembered to lock the door, but I forgot to shut the windows.
(= I remembered that I had to lock it, and so I locked it)
·         I must remember to pay the electricity bill. (= I must not forget to pay it)

regret
I regret doing something= I did it and now
I'm sorry about it:
·         I now regret saying what I said. I shouldn't have said it.
·         Do you regret not going to college?
I regret to say /to tell you /to inform you = I'm sorry that I have to say (etc.):
·         (from a formal letter) We regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful.

go on
Go on doing something = continue with the same thing:
·         The president paused for a moment and then went on talking.
·         We need to change. We can't go on living like this.
Go on to do something = do or say something new:
·         After discussing the economy, the president then went on to talk about foreign policy.
C
The following verbs can be followed by -ing or to .. . with no difference of meaning:

begin
start
continue
intend
bother

So you can say:
·         It started raining.                                   or               It started to rain.
·         Andy intends buying a house.               or                Andy intends to buy ...
·         Don't bother locking the door.              or                Don't bother to lock ...

But normally we do not use -ing after -ing:
·         It's starting to rain. (not it's starting raining)

EXERCISES
56.1
Put the verb into the correct form, -ing or to ....

1
They denied ____ stealing____ the money. (steal)
2
I don't enjoy ___________very much. (drive)
3
I can't afford _________ out tonight. I don't have enough money. (go)
4
Has it stopped ________________ yet? (rain)
5
We were unlucky to lose the game. We deserved _____________(win)
6
Why do you keep __________ me questions? Can't you leave me alone? (ask)
7
Please stop __________ me questions! (ask)
8
I refuse ________________ any more questions. (answer)
9
The driver of one of the cars admitted _______________the accident. (cause)
10
Mark needed our help, and we promised _____________what we could. (do)
11
I don't mind ____________ alone, but it's better to be with other people. (be)
12
The wall was quite high, but I managed ____________ over it. (climb)
13
'Does Sarah know about the meeting?' 'No, I forgot ____________ her.' (tell)
14
I've enjoyed ___________to you. I hope ____________ you again soon. (talk, see)
56.2
Tom can remember some things about his childhood, but he can't remember others. Complete the sentences.
1
He was in hospital when he was a small child. He can still remember this.
___ He can remember being in hospital _____ when he was a small child.
2
He went to Paris with his parents when he was eight. He remembers this.
He remembers _____________ with his parents when he was eight.
3
He cried on his first day at school. He doesn't remember this.
He doesn't _____________ on his first day at school.
4
Once he fell into the river. He can remember this.
He _____________.
5
He said he wanted to be a doctor. He can't remember this.
_________________ to be a doctor.
6
Once he was bitten by a dog. He doesn't remember this.
___________________ a dog.
56.3
Complete each sentence with a verb in the correct form, -ing or to .... Sometimes either form is possible.

1
a.   Please remember______ to lock ______the door when you go out.
b.   A: You lent me some money a few months ago.
      B: Did I? Are you sure? I don't remember ________ you any money.
c.   A: Did you remember ________ your sister?
      B: Oh no, I completely forgot. I'll phone her tomorrow.
d.   When you see Steve, remember ________ hello to him from me.
e.    Someone must have taken my bag. I clearly remember __________  it by the window and now it has gone.
2
a.   I believe that what I said was right. I don't regret ____________ it.
b.  I knew they were in trouble, but I regret ___________ I did nothing to help them.
c.   It started to get cold, and he regretted not _____________ his coat.
3
a.   Ben joined the company nine years ago. He became assistant manager after two years, and a few years later he went on _________ manager of the company.
b.   I can't go on _________ here any more. I want a different job.
c.   When I came into the room, Lisa was reading a newspaper. She looked up and said hello, and then went on ____________ her newspaper.
4
a.   If the company continues _________ money, the factory may be closed.
b.   Julia has been ill, but now she's beginning ____________better.
c.   The baby started ____________ in the middle of the night.

ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments