Thursday 19 December 2019

17. HAVE & HAVE GOT ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
17. HAVE & HAVE GOT

A
Have and have got (= for possession, relationships, illnesses etc.)

You can use have or have got. There is no difference in meaning:
·         They have a new car. or They've got a new car.
·         Lisa has two brothers. or Lisa's got two brothers.
·         I have a headache. or I've got a headache.
·         Our house has a small garden. or Our house has got a small garden.
·         He has a few problems. or He's got a few problems.

With these meanings (possession etc.), you cannot use continuous forms (am having etc.):
We're enjoying our holiday. We have /We've got a nice room in the hotel. (not We're having a nice room)

For the past we use had (without got):
Lisa had long hair when she was a child. (not Lisa had got)

B
In questions and negative sentences there are three possible forms:

Do you have any questions?
Have you got any questions?
Have you any questions? (less usual)
Does she have a car?
Has she got a car?
Has she a car? (less usual)
I don't have any questions.
I haven't got any questions.
I haven't any questions. (less usual)
She doesn't have a car.
She hasn't got a car.
She hasn't a car. (less usual)

In past questions and negative sentences we use did/didn't:
·         Did you have a car when you were living in Paris?
·         I didn't have my phone, so I couldn’t call you.
·         Lisa had long hair, didn't she?

C
Have breakfast /have a shower /have a good time etc.

We also use have (but not have got) for many actions and experiences. For example:
have
breakfast /dinner /a cup of coffee /something to eat etc.
a bath /a shower /a swim /a break /a rest /a party /a holiday
an accident /an experience /a dream
a look (at something)
a chat /a conversation /a discussion (with somebody)
trouble /difficulty /fun /a good time etc.
a baby (= give birth to a baby)

Have got is not possible in the expressions in the box. Compare:
·         Sometimes I have (= eat) a sandwich for my lunch. (not I've got)
·         but I've got /I have some sandwiches. Would you like one?

You can use continuous forms (am having etc.) with the expressions in the box:
·         We're enjoying our holiday. We're having a great time. (not We have)
·         Mark is having a shower at the moment. He has a shower every day.

In questions and negative sentences we use do/does/did:
·         I don't usually have a big breakfast. (not I usually haven’t)
·         What time does Chris have lunch? (not has Chris lunch)
·         Did you have trouble finding a place to live?

EXERCISES
17.1
Write negative sentences with have. Some are present and some are past.

1
I can't get into the house. (a key)
_______ I haven’t got a key _______
2
I couldn't read the letter. (my glasses)
_______ I didn’t have my glasses _______
3
I can't get onto the roof. (a ladder)
___________________________________________
4
We couldn't visit the museum. (enough time)
_______________________________________________
5
He couldn't find his way to our house. (a map)
_______________________________________________
6
She can't pay her bills. (any money)
_______________________________________________
7
I can't go swimming today. (enough energy)
_______________________________________________
8
They couldn't take any pictures. (a camera)
_______________________________________________
17.2
Which alternatives are correct? Sometimes two alternatives are possible, sometimes only one.

1
Excuse me, _______________ a pen I could borrow?
A
have you got
B
are you having
C
do you have

(both A and C are correct)
2
___________ time to go to the bank yesterday?
A
Had you got
B
Did you have
C
Had you
3
I need a stamp for this letter. ________________ one?
A
Do you have
B
Are you having
C
Have you got
4
What does jack do? ______________  a job?
A
Does he have
B
Is he having
C
Has he got
5
_________ a lot of friends when you were a child?
A
Did you have
B
Were you having
C
Had you
6
When you worked in your last job, _________ your own office?
A
had you
B
have you got
C
did you have
17.3
Are the underlined verbs OK? Change them where necessary.

1
Is there anything you want to ask? Do you have any questions?
______OK______
2
Lisa had got long hair when she was a child.
___Lisa had long hair_____
3
Tom couldn't contact us because he hadn't our number.
____________________
4
'Are you feeling OK?' 'No, I'm having a toothache.'
______________________
5
Are you enjoying yourself? Are you having a good time?
______________________
6
It started to rain. I got wet because I hadn't an umbrella.
______________________
7
Will can't drive. He doesn't have a driving licence.
______________________
8
Did your trip go OK? Had you any problems?
______________________
9
My friend called me when I was having breakfast.
______________________
17.4
Complete the sentences. Use an expression from the List with have in the correct form.
have a baby
have a break
have a chat
have trouble
have a good flight
have a look
have lunch
have a party
have a nice time
have a shower

1
I don't eat much during the day. I never ______have lunch________
2
David starts work at 8 o'clock and __________ at 10.30.
3
We ____________ last week. It was great - we invited lots of people.
4
Excuse me, can I ___________________ at your newspaper, please?
5
Jim is away on holiday at the moment. I hope he ______________.
6
I met Ann in the supermarket yesterday. We stopped and _________________.
7
A: ______________ finding the book you wanted ?
B: No, I found it OK.
8
Suzanne __________  a few weeks ago. It's her second child.
9
A : Why didn't you answer the phone?
B: 1 _________________
10
You meet your friend Sally at the airport. She has just arrived. You say:
Hi, Sally. How are you?

ANSWER KEY

17.1

3 I don't have a ladder. /I haven't got a ladder.
4 We didn't have enough time.
5 He didn't have a map.
6 She doesn't have any money. /She hasn't got any money. 7 I don't have enough energy. /I haven't got enough energy. 8 They didn't have a camera.

17.2
2 B
3 A or C
4 A or C
5 A
6 c

17.3
3 he didn't have
4 I have or I've got
5 OK
6 I didn't have
7 OK (or He hasn't got)
8 Did you have
9 OK

17.4
2 has a break
3 had a party
4 have a look
5 'shaving I is having a nice time
6 had a chat
7 Did you have t rouble
8 had a baby
9 was having a shower
10 Did you have a good flight?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments