Thursday 19 December 2019

21. WILL/SHALL 1 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
21. WILL/SHALL 1

A
We use I’ll (= I will) when we've just decided to do something. When we say I’ll do something', we announce our decision:
·         Oh, I've left the door open. I’ll go and shut it.
·         'What would you like to drink?' I’ll have an orange juice, please.'
·         'Did you phone Lucy?' 'Oh no, I forgot. I’ll phone her now.'

You cannot use the present simple (I do /I go etc.) in these sentences:
·         I’ll go and shut the door. (not I go and shut)

We often use I think I’ll ... and I don't think I'll ... :
·         I feel a bit hungry. I think I'll have something to eat.
·         I don't think I’ll go out tonight. I'm too tired.

In spoken English the negative of will is usually won't(= will not):
·         I can see you're busy, so I won't stay long.

B
Do not use will to talk about what you decided before (see Units 19-20):
·         I'm going on holiday next Saturday. (not I'll go)
·         Are you working tomorrow? (not Will you work)
C
We often use will in these situations:

Offering to do something
·         That bag looks heavy. I’ll help you with it. (not I help)

Agreeing to do something
·         A: Can you give Tim this book?
·         B: Sure, I’ll give it to him when I see him this afternoon.

Promising to do something
·         Thanks for lending me the money. I’ll pay you back on Friday.
·         I won't tell anyone what happened. I promise.

Asking somebody to do something (Will you ... ?)
·         Will you please turn the music down? I'm trying to concentrate.

You can use won't to say that somebody refuses to do something:
·         I've tried to give her advice, but she won't listen.
·         The car won't start. (=the car 'refuses' to start)
D
Shall I ... ? Shall we ... ?
Shall is used mostly in the questions shall I ... ? I shall we ... ?

We use shall I ... ? /shall we .. . ?to ask somebody's opinion (especially in offers or suggestions):
·         Shall I open the window? (=Do you want me to open the window?)
·         I've got no money. What shall I do? (= What do you suggest?)
·         'Shall we go?' 'Just a minute. I'm not ready yet.'
·         'Where shall we have lunch?' 'Let's go to Marino's.'

Compare shall I ... ? and will you ... ?:
·         Shall I shut the door? (= Do you want me to shut it?)
·         Will you shut the door? (= I want you to shut it)

EXERCISES
21.1
Complete the sentences with I’ll+ a suitable verb.

1
I'm too tired to walk home. I think _____ I’ll take _____a taxi.
2
'It’s cold in this room.' 'Is it? _________________ on the heating then.'
3
'Bye! Have a nice holiday!' 'Thanks. __________________ you a postcard.'
4
'Shall I do the washing-up?' 'No, it's all right. __________ it later.'
5
'I don't know how to shut down this computer.' 'OK, ________________ you.'
6
'Would you like tea or coffee?' '___________ coffee, please.'
7
'Are you coming with us?' 'No, I think _____________ here.'
8
Thanks for lending me the money. _____________________ it back as soon as possible, OK?
9
A: I know you're busy, but can you finish this report this afternoon?
B: Well, ________________ , but I can't promise.
21.2
Read the situations and write sentences with I think I'll ... or I don't think I'll ... .

1
It's a bit cold. The window is open and you decide to close it. You say
____ I think I’ll close the window. _______________
2
You are feeling tired and it's getting late. You decide to go to bed. You say:
I think ___________________________________________
3
A friend of yours offers you a lift in his car, but you decide to walk. You say:
Thank you, but ____________________________________
4
You were going to have lunch. Now you decide that you don't want to eat anything. You say:
I don't think _______________________________
5
You planned to go swimming. Now you decide that you don't want to go. You say:
_____________________________________________________
21.3
Which is correct? (If necessary, study Units 19-20 first.)

1
'Did you phone Lucy?' 'Oh no, I forgot. I phone /I'll phone her now.' (I'll phone is correct)
2
I can't meet you tomorrow. I'm playing /I'll play tennis. (I'm playing is correct)
3
'I meet /I'll meet you outside the hotel in half an hour, OK?' 'Yes, that's fine.'
4
'I need some money.' 'OK, I'm lending /I’ll lend you some. How much do you need?'
5
I'm having /I'll have a party next Saturday. I hope you can come.
6
'Remember to get a newspaper when you go out.' 'OK, I don't forget /I won't forget.'
7
What time does your train leave /will your train leave tomorrow?
8
I asked Sue what happened, but she doesn't tell /won't tell me.
9
'Are you doing /Will you do anything tomorrow evening?' 'No, I'm free. Why?'
10
I don't want to go out alone. Do you come /Will you come with me?
21.4
What do you say in these situations? Write sentences with shall I ... ? or shall we ... ?

1
You and a friend want to do something this evening, but you don't know what.
You ask your friend: _____ What shall we do this evening? ______
2
You try on a jacket in a shop. You are not sure whether to buy it or not.
You ask a friend for advice: _______________________ it?
3
It's Helen's birthday next week. You want to give her a present, but you don't know what. You ask a friend for advice:
What _________________________________
4
You and a friend are going on holiday together, but you have to decide where.
You ask him/her: ____________________________________
5
You and a friend are going out. You have to decide whether to go by car or to walk.
You ask him/her: _____________________________
6
Your friend wants you to come and see her. You don't know what t ime to come.
You ask her: ______________________________________________

ANSWER KEY

21.1

2 I'll turn I I'll switch I I'll put
3 I'll send
4 I'll do
5 I'll show
6 I'll have
7 I'll stay I I'll wait
8 I'll pay I I'll give
9 I'll try

21.2
2 I'll go to bed.
3 I think I'll walk.
4 I'll eat anything.
5 I don't think I'll go swimming.

21.3
3 I'll meet
4 I’ll lend
5 I'm having
6 I won't forget
7 does your train leave
8 won't tell
9 Are you doing
10 Will you come

21.4
2 Shall I buy it?
3 What shall I give/buy/get Helen (for her birthday)?
4 Where shall we go (on holiday)?
5 Shall we go by car or (shall we) walk? I ... or (shall we go) on foot?
6 What time shall I come?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments