Tuesday 24 December 2019

29. May and Might 1 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
29. May and Might 1

A
Study this example situation:
You are looking for Ben. Nobody is sure where he is/ but you get some suggestions.

We use may or might to say that something is possible. Usually you can use may or might so you can say:
·         It may be true.             or                  It might be true. (= perhaps it is true)
·         She might know.          or                 She may know.

The negative forms are may not and might not (or mightn't):
·         It may not be true. (=perhaps it isn’t true)
·         She might not work here any more. (=perhaps she doesn’t work here)

Study the structure:
I/you/he (etc.)
may
might
(not)
be (true/in his office etc.)
be (doing/ working/ having etc.)
know/ work/ want etc.)
B
For the past we use may have (done) or might have (done):

·         A: I wonder why Kate didn’t answer her phone.
B: She may have been asleep. (=perhaps she was asleep)
·         A: I can’t find my phone anywhere.
B: You might have left it at work. (=perhaps you left it at work)
·         A: Why wasn’t Amy at the meeting yesterday?
B: She might not have known about it. (=perhaps she didn’t know)
·         A: I wonder why David was in such a bad mood yesterday.
B: He may not have been feeling well. (= perhaps he wasn’t feeling well)

Study the structure:
I/you/he (etc.)
may
might
(not)have
been (asleep/at home etc.)
been (doing/ working/ feeling etc.)
known/ had/ wanted/ left etc.)
C
Could is similar to may and might:
·         It’s a strange story, but it could be true. (= it is possible that it’s true)
·         You could have left your phone at work. (= it’s possible that you left it there)

But couldn't (negative) is different from may not and might not. Compare:
·         Sarah couldn't have got my message. Otherwise she would have replied.
(= it is not possible that she got my message)
·         I wonder why Sarah hasn’t replied to my message. I suppose she might not have got it.
·         (= It’s possible that she didn’t get it - so perhaps she did, perhaps she didn’t)

EXERCISES
29.1
Write these sentences in a different way using might.

1
Perhaps Helen is in her office.
____ She might be in her office_________
2
Perhaps Helen is busy.
_____________________________
3
Perhaps she is working.
________________________________
4
Perhaps she wants to be alone.
________________________________
5
Perhaps she was ill yesterday.
________________________________
6
Perhaps she went home early.
________________________________
7
Perhaps she had to go home early.
________________________________
8
Perhaps she was working yesterday.
________________________________

In sentences 9-11 use might not.
9
Perhaps she doesn't want to see me.
________________________________
10
Perhaps she isn't working today.
________________________________
11
Perhaps she wasn't feeling well yesterday.
________________________________
29.2
Complete each sentence with a verb in the correct form.

1
·where's Ben?' Tm not sure. He might _____be having______ lunch.'
2
·who is that man with Anna?' ‘I'm not sure. It might _____ her brother.'
3
A: Who was the man we saw with Anna yesterday?
B: I'm not sure. It may ____________ her brother.
4
A: What are those people doing by the side of the road?
B: I don't know. I suppose they might ____________ for a bus.
5
‘1s Sarah here?' ‘1 can't see her. She may not _______________yet.'
29.3
Read the situation and make sentences from the words in brackets. Use might.

1
I can't find Jeff anywhere. I wonder where he is.
a (he /go /shopping) _______ He might have gone shopping_______
b (he /play /tennis) _________ He might be playing tennis __________
2
I'm looking for Sophie. Do you know where she is?
a (she /watch /TV) __________________________
b (she /go /out) __________________________
3
I can't find my umbrella. Have you seen it?
a (it /be /in the car) _______________________
b (you /leave /in the restaurant) _______________________
4
Why didn't Dan answer the doorbell? I'm sure he was at home at the time.
a (he /go /to bed early) _______________________
b (he /not /hear /the doorbell _______________________
c (he /be /in the shower) _______________________
29.4
Complete the sentences using might not have ____  or couldn't have ______

1
A: Do you think Sarah got the message I sent her?
B: No, she would have replied. _____She couldn’t have got it _________
2
A: I was surprised Amy wasn't at the meeting. Perhaps she didn't know about it.
B: That's possible. _____She might not have known about it ______________________
3
A: I wonder why they haven't replied to the email sent. Do you think they received it?
B: Maybe not. They ____________________________
4
A: I wonder how the fire started. Was it an accident?
B: No, the police say it ___________________
5
A: Mike says he needs to see you. He tried to find you yesterday.
B: Well, he ________________ very hard. I was in my office all day.
6
A: The man you spoke to - are you sure he was American?
B: No, I'm not sure. He __________________________

ANSWER KEY

29.1

2 She might be busy.
3 She might be working.
4 She might want to be alone.
5 She might have been ill yesterday.
6 She might have gone home early.
7 She might have had to go home early.
8 She might have been working yesterday.
9 She might not want to see me.
10 She might not be working today.
11 She might not have been feeling well yesterday.

You can use may instead of might in all these sentences.

29.2
2 be
3 have been
4 be waiting
5 have arrived I have come

29.3
2 a She might be watching TV.
b She might have gone out.

3 a It might be in the car.
b You might have left it in the restaurant.

4 a He might have gone to bed early.
b He might not have heard the doorbell.
c He might have been in the shower.

You can use may instead of might in all these sentences.

29.4
3 might not have received it I might not have got it
4 couldn't have been an accident
5 couldn't have tried
6 might not have been American

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments