Wednesday 25 December 2019

40. IF I HAD KNOWN….. I WISH I HAD KNOWN…… ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE



ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
40. IF I HAD KNOWN….. I WISH I HAD KNOWN……

A
Study this example situation:

Last month Gary was in hospital for a few days. Rachel didn’t know this~ so she didn’t go to visit him. They met a few days ago.
Rachel said:
·         If I'd known you were in hospital, I would have gone to see you.
Rachel said: If I'd known (=If I had known) you were in hospital. This tells us that she didn't know.

We use if+ had ('d) ... to talk about the past (if I had known/ been/done etc.):
·         I didn't see you when you passed me in the street. If I'd seen you, of course I would have said hello. (but I didn't see you)
·         I didn't go out last night. I would have gone out if I hadn't been so tired. (but I was tired)
·         If he had been looking where he was going, he wouldn't have walked into the wall. (but he wasn't looking)
·         The view was wonderful. If I'd had a camera with me, I would have taken some pictures. (but I didn't have a camera)

Compare:
·         I'm not hungry. If I was hungry, I would eat something. (now)
·         I wasn't hungry. If I had been hungry, I would have eaten something. (past)
B
Do not use would in the if-part of the sentence. We use would in the other part of the sentence:
·         If I had seen you, I would have said hello. (not If I would have seen you)

Note that 'd can be would or had:
If I'd seen you, (I'd seen= I had seen)
I'd have said hello. (I'd have said = I would have said)
C
We use had (done) in the same way after wish. I wish something had happened= I am sorry that it didn't happen:
·         I wish I'd known that Gary was ill. I would have gone to see him. (but I didn't know)
·         I feel sick. I wish I hadn't eaten so much cake. (I ate too much cake)
·         Do you wish you'd studied science instead of languages? (you didn't study science)

Do not use would have …… after wish:
·         The weather was cold when we were on holiday. I wish it had been warmer. (not I wish it would have been)
D
Compare would (do) and would have (done):
·         If I'd gone to the party last night, I would be tired now. (I am not tired now - present)
·         If I'd gone to the party last night, I would have met lots of people. (I didn't meet lots of people- past)

Compare would have, could have and might have:
If the weather hadn't been so bad
we would have gone out.
we could have gone out.
(= we would have been able to go out)
we might have gone out.
(=perhaps we would have gone out)

EXERCISES
40.1
Put the verb into the correct form.

1
I didn’t see you when you passed me in the street. If ____I’d seen_____(I /see) you, I _____would have said_____ (I /say) hello.
2
Sam got to the station just in time to catch the train to the airport. If __________ (he I miss) the train, ____________ (he /miss) his flight too.
3
I’m glad that you reminded me about Rachel’s birthday. ________ (I /forget) if _______ (you /not /remind) me.
4
I wanted to send you an email, but I didn’t have your email address. If ____________(I /have) your address, ___________ (I /send) you an email.
5
A: How was your trip? Was it good?
B: It was OK, but __________ (we /enjoy) it more if the weather _______ (be) better.
6
I took a taxi to the hotel, but the traffic was bad. _________ (it /be) quicker if ___________ (I /walk).
7
I’m not tired. If __________ (I /be) tired, I’d go home now.
8
I wasn’t tired last night. If _________ (I /be) tired, I would have gone home earlier.

40.2
For each situation, write a sentence beginning with If.

1
I wasn’t hungry, so I didn’t eat anything.
_____If I’d been hungry, I would have eaten something ________________
2
The accident happened because the road was icy.
If the road _____________,the accident _____________
3
I didn’t know that Joe had to get up early, so I didn’t wake him up.
If I ______ that he had to get up early,___________________
4
Unfortunately I lost my phone, so I couldn’t call you.
If _____________________________
5
Karen wasn’t injured in the crash because she was wearing a seat belt.
________________________________
6
You didn’t have breakfast- that’s why you’re hungry now.
________________________________
7
I didn’t get a taxi because I didn’t have enough money.
_________________________________
40.3
Imagine that you are in these situations. For each situation, write a sentence with I wish.

1
You've eaten too much and now you feel sick.
You say: _______ I wish I hadn’t eaten so much_________________
2
There was a job advertised in the paper. You decided not to apply for it. Now you think that your decision was wrong.
You say: I wish I__________________________________________
3
When you were younger, you never learned to play a musical instrument. Now you regret this.
You say: __________________________________________________
4
You've painted the gat e red. Now you think that red was the wrong colour.
You say: __________________________________________________
5
You are walking in the country. You’d like to take some pictures, but you didn’t bring your camera.
You say: ___________________________________________________
6
You have some unexpected guests. They didn’t phone you first to say they were coming. You are very busy and you are not prepared for them.
You say (to yourself)___________________________________________





ANSWER KEY



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments