Wednesday 25 December 2019

36. Would ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
36. Would

A
We use would ('d) /wouldn't when we imagine a situation or action (=we think of something that is not real):
·         It would be nice to buy a new car, but we can't afford it.
·         I'd love to live by the sea.
·         A: Shall I tell Chris what happened?
B: No, I wouldn't say anything. (= I wouldn't say anything in your situation)

We use would have (done) when we imagine situations or actions in the past (=things that didn't happen):
·         They helped us a lot. I don't know what we'd have done
(=we would have done) without their help.
·         I didn't tell Sam what happened. He wouldn't have been pleased.

Compare would (do) and would have (done):
·         I would call Lisa, but I don't have her number. (now)
I would have called Lisa, but I didn't have her number. (past)
·         I'm not going to invite them to the party. They wouldn't come anyway.
I didn't invite them to the party. They wouldn't have come anyway.

We often use would in sentences with if (see Units 38-40):
·         I would call Lisa if I had her number.
·         I would have called Lisa if I’d had her number.
B
Compare will ('ll) and would ('d):
·         I’ll stay a little longer. I've got plenty of time.
I'd stay a little longer, but I really have to go now. (so I can’t stay longer)
·         I'll call Lisa. I have her number.
I'd call Lisa, but I don’t have her number. (so I can’t call her)

Sometimes would/wouldn't is the past of will/won't. Compare:

Present
Past
TOM: I’ll call you on Sunday.
AMY: I promise I won't be late
Lisa: Damn! The car won't start.
Tom said he'd call me on Sunday.
Amy promised that she wouldn't be late.
Lisa was annoyed because her car wouldn't start.

Somebody wouldn't do something = he/she refused to do it:
·         I tried to warn him, but he wouldn't listen to me. (= he refused to listen)
·         The car wouldn't start. (= it ~refused, to start)
C
You can also use would to talk about things that happened regularly in the past:

·         When we were children, we lived by the sea. In summer, if the weather was fine, we would all get up early and go for a swim. (=we did this regularly)
·         Whenever Richard was angry, he would walk out of the room.

With this meaning, would is similar to used to (see Unit 18):
·         Whenever Richard was angry, he used to walk out of the room.

EXERCISES
36.1
Write sentences about yourself. Imagine things you would like or wouldn't like.

1
(a place you'd love to live)
____ I’d love to live by the sea. ______
2
(a job you wouldn't like to do)
____________________________
3
(something you would love to do)
_______________________________
4
(something that would be nice to have)
_______________________________
5
(a place you'd like to go to)
_______________________________
36.2
Complete the sentences using would+ the following verbs (in the correct form):

be     be     do    do      enjoy      enjoy       have      pass      stop

1
They helped us a lot. I don't know what we _____ would have done ______without their help.
2
You should go and see the film. You ___________ it.
3
It's a pity you couldn't come to the party last night. You ____________it.
4
Shall I apply for the job or not? What _______ you _______ 1n my pos1t1on?
5
I was in a hurry when I saw you. Otherwise I ______________ to talk.
6
We took a taxi home last night, but got stuck in the traffic. It _______quicker to walk.
7
Why don't you go and see Clare? She __________ very pleased to see you.
8
Why didn't you do the exam? I'm sure you ____________ it.
9
In an ideal world, everybody _________enough to eat.
36.3
Each sentence on the right follows a sentence on the left. Which follows which?

1
I'd like to go to Australia one day.

a
It wouldn't have been very nice.

1
C
2
I wouldn't like to live on a busy road.

b
It would have been fun.

2

3
I'm sorry the trip was cancelled

c
It would be nice.

3

4
I’m looking forward to going out tonight.

d
It won't be much fun.

4

5
I’m glad we didn't go out in the rain.

e
It wouldn't be very nice.

5

6
I'm not looking forward to the trip.

f
It will be fun.

6

36.4
Write sentences using promised +would/wouldn't.

1
I wonder why Laura is late.
__She promised she wouldn’t be late ______
2
I wonder why Steve hasn't called me.
He promised ________________________
3
Why did you tell Jane what I said?
You ________________________
4
I'm surprised they didn't wait for us.
They ________________________
36.5
Complete the sentences. Use wouldn't+ a suitable verb.

1
I tried to warn him, but he ___wouldn’t listen _____to me.
2
I asked Amanda what had happened, but she _____ me.
3
Paul was very angry about what I'd said and ______ to me for two weeks.
4
Martina insisted on carrying all her luggage. She _________________ me help her
36.6
These sentences are about things that often happened in the past. Complete the sentences using would +these verbs:

forget       help      shake     share      walk

1
Whenever Richard was angry, he ____would walk _____ out of the room.
2
We used to live next to a railway line. Every time a t rain went past , the house _______
3
Alan was a very kind man. He always ______you ________ if you had a problem.
4
Katherine was always very generous. She didn't have much, but she _____ what she had with everyone else
5
You could never rely on Joe. It didn't matter how many times you reminded him to do
something, he _______ always _________

ANSWER KEY

36.1
Example answers:
2 I wouldn't like to be a teacher.
3 I'd love to learn to fly a plane.
4 It would be nice to have a big garden.
5 I'd like to go to Mexico.

36.2
2 'd enjoy /would enjoy
3 'd have enjoyed /would have enjoyed
4 would you do
5 'd have stopped /would have stopped
6 would have been
7 'd be I would be
8 'd have passed I would have passed
9 would have

36.3
2 e
3 b
4 f
5 a
6 d

36.4
2 He promised he'd call. /... he would call.
3 You promised you wouldn't tell her.
4 They promised they'd wait (for us). /…they would wait.

36.5
2 wouldn't tell
3 wouldn't speak
4 wouldn't let

36.6
2 would shake
3 would always help
4 would share
5 would always forget

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments