Thursday 19 December 2019

18. USED TO (DO) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
18. USED TO (DO)

A
Study this example situation:
·         Nicola doesn't travel much these days.  
She prefers to stay at home.
But she used to travel a lot.
She used to go away two or three times a year  
She used to travel a lot= she travelled a lot often in the past, but she doesn't do this any more.

B
Something used to happen = it happened often in the past, but no longer happens:
·         I used to play tennis a lot, but I don't play very much now.
·         David used to spend a lot of money on clothes. These days he can't afford it.
·         'Do you go to the cinema much?' 'Not now, but I used to.' (=I used to go)

We also use used to ... for things that were true, but are not true any more:
·         This building is now a furniture shop. It used to be a cinema.
·         I used to think Mark was unfriendly, but now I realise he's a very nice person.
·         I've started drinking tea recently. I never used to like it before.
·         Lisa used to have very long hair when she was a child.
C
'I used to do something' is past. There is no present. You cannot say 'I use to do'.
To talk about the present, use the present simple (1 do).

Compare:
past
he used to play
we used to live
there used to be
present
he plays
we live
there is

·         We used to live in a small village, but now we live in London.
·         There used to be four cinemas in the town. Now there is only one.
D
The normal question form is did (you) use to ____?:
·         Did you use to eat a lot of sweets when you were a child?

The negative form is didn't use to ____ (used not to ___ is also possible):
·         I didn't use to like him. (or I used not to like him.)
E
Compare I used to do and I was doing:

·         I used to watch TV a lot. (=I watched TV often in the past, but I no longer do this)
·         I was watching TV when Rob called. (= I was in the middle of watching TV)
F
Do not confuse I used to do and I am used to doing (see Unit 61). The structures and meanings are different:

·         I used to live alone. (= I lived alone in the past, but I no longer live alone)
·         I am used to living alone. (= I live alone, and I don't find it strange or difficult because I've been living alone for some time)

EXERCISES
18.1
Complete the sentences with use(d) to+ a suitable verb.

1
Nicola doesn't travel much now. She ___ used to travel ___a lot, but she prefers to stay at home these days.
2
Sophie _______ a motorbike, but last year she sold it and bought a car.
3
We moved to Spain a few years ago. We _______ in Paris.
4
I rarely eat ice-cream now, but I ________ it when I was a child.
5
Jackie _______ my best friend , but we aren't good friends any more.
6
It only takes me about 40 minutes to get to work now that the new road is open. It __________ more than an hour.
7
There _________ a hotel near the airport, but it closed a long time ago.
8
When you lived in New York, __________ to the theatre very often?
18.2
Compare what Karen said five years ago and what she says today:

Now write sentences about how Karen has changed. Use used to /didn't use to /never used to in the first part of your sentence.

1
She used to travel a lot__________ but _________________she doesn’t go away much these days
2
She used ___________________ but ______________________________________________
3
____________________________ but ______________________________________________
4
____________________________ but ______________________________________________
5
____________________________ but ______________________________________________
6
____________________________ but ______________________________________________
7
____________________________ but ______________________________________________
8
____________________________ but ______________________________________________
9
____________________________ but ______________________________________________
10
____________________________ but ______________________________________________
18.3
Write sentences about yourself Like the examples. Begin I used to ... (I used to be/work/like/ play/read etc.).

1
I used to live in a small village, but now I live in London.
2
I used to play tennis a lot, but I don’t play any more.
3
I used ___________________________, but __________________________.
4
I _______________________________________________________________
5
__________________________________________________________________
6
Now begin with I didn’t use to  ________

I didn’t use to read a lot, but I do now.
7
I didn’t _________________________________________
8
__________________________________________________________________________

ANSWER KEY

18.1
2 used to have/ride
3 used to live
4 used to eat/like/love
5 used to be
6 used to take
7 used to be
8 did you use to go

18.2
2-10
• She used to have lots of friends, but she doesn't know many people these days.
• She used to be very lazy, but she works very hard these days.
• She didn't use to like cheese, but she eats lots of cheese now.
• She used to be a hotel receptionist, but she works in a bookshop now.
• She used to play the piano, but she hasn't played the piano for years. / ... played it for years.
• She never used to read /She didn't use to read newspapers, but she reads a newspaper every day now.
• She didn't use to drink tea, but she likes it now.
• She used to have a dog, but it died two years ago.
• She used to go to a lot of parties, but she hasn't been to a party for ages

18.3
Example answers:
3 I used to be a vegetarian, but now 1 eat meat sometimes.
4 I used to watch TV a lot, but I don't watch it much now.
5 I used to hate getting up early, but now it's no problem.
7 I didn't use to drink coffee, but I drink it every day now.
8 I didn't use to like hot weather, but now I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments