Tuesday 24 December 2019

30. May and Might 2 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
30. May and Might 2

A
We use may and might to talk about possible actions or happenings in the future:

·         I haven't decided yet where to go on holiday. I may go to Ireland. (=perhaps I will go there)
·         Take an umbrella with you. It might rain later. (= perhaps it will rain)
·         The bus isn't always on time. We might have to wait a few minutes. (=perhaps we will have to wait)

The negative forms are may not and might not (mightn't):
·         Amy may not go out tonight. She isn't feeling well. (=perhaps she will not go out)
·         There might not be enough time to discuss everything at the meeting. (=perhaps there will not be enough time)

Compare will and may/might:
·         I'll be late this evening. (for sure)
·         I may/might be late this evening. (possible)
B
Usually you can use may or might. So you can say:
·         I may go to Ireland.                               or I might go to Ireland.
·         Jane might be able to help you.            or Jane may be able to help you.

But we use only might (not may) when the situation is not real:
·         If they paid me better, I might work harder. (not I may work)
The situation here is not real because they do not pay me well, so I'm not going to work harder.
C
There is a continuous form: may/ might be -ing. Compare this with will be-ing:
·         Don't phone at 8.30. I’ll be watching the football on television.
·         Don't phone at 8.30. I might be watching (or I may be watching) the football on TV.
(=perhaps I'll be watching it)

We also use may/might be -ing for possible plans. Compare:
·         I'm going to Ireland in July. (for sure)
·         I might be going (or I may be going) to Ireland soon. (possible)

But you can also say ‘I might go /I may go ... ' with little difference in meaning.
D
Might as well

Helen and Clare have just missed the bus. The buses run every hour

·         A: What time are you going out?
B: Well, I'm ready, so I might as well go now.
·         Buses are so expensive these days, you might as well get a taxi. (=taxis are as good, no more expensive)

EXERCISES
30.1
Write sentences with might.

1
Where are you going for your holidays? (to Ireland???)
I haven't decided yet. . _____I might go to Ireland _________
2
What sort of car are you going to buy? (a Honda???)
I'm not sure yet. I ___________________________
3
When is Tom coming to see us? (on Saturday???)
He hasn't said yet. _________________________________
4
Where are you going to hang that picture? (in the dining room???)
I haven't made up my mind yet. _______________________
5
What is Tanya going to do when she leaves school? (go to university???)
She's still thinking about it. _____________________
30.2
Complete the sentences using might+ the following:

bite   break   need     rain     slip     wake

1
Take an umbrella with you when you go out. It ______ might rain ______later.
2
Don't make too much noise. You ________________ the baby.
3
Be careful of that dog. It _______________you.
4
Don't throw that letter away. We _____________ it later.
5
Be careful. The footpath is very icy. You ________________________
6
Don't let the children play in this room. They ________________ something.
30.3
Complete the sentences. Use might be able to or might have to+ one of the following:
fix    help    leave     meet    sell    work

1
Tell me about your problem. I ____might be able to help _______you.
2
I'm not free this evening, but I ____________ you tomorrow.
3
I don't know if I'll be free on Sunday. I __________________________
4
I can come to the meeting, but I ___________________before the end.
5
I'm short of money. I want to keep my car, but I ______________ it.
6
A: There's something wrong with my bike.
B: Let me have a look. I __________________it.
30.4
Write sentences with might not.

1
I'm not sure that Liz will come to the party.
______ Liz might not come to the party __________________
2
I'm not sure that I'll go out this evening.
I_________________________
3
I'm not sure that we'll be able to get tickets for the game.
We _________________________________________
4
I'm not sure that Sam will be able to go out with us tonight.
______________________________________________________
30.5
Read the situations and make sentences with might as well.

1
You and a friend have just missed the bus. The buses run every hour.
You say: We'll have to wait an hour for the next bus. We _____might as well walk______
2
You've been invited to a party. You're not very excited about it, but you decide to go.
You say: I'm not doing anything else, so I ________________ to the party.
3
You've just painted your kitchen. You still have a lot of paint, so why not paint the bathroom too?
You say: We __________________. There's plenty of paint left.
4
You and a friend are at home. You're bored. There's a film on TV starting in a few minutes.
You say: ____________________. There's nothing else to do.

ANSWER KEY

30.1
2 I might buy a Honda.
3 He might come on Saturday.
4 I might hang it in the dining room.
5 She might go to university.
You can use may instead of might in all these sentences.

30.2
2 might wake
3 might bite
4 might need
5 might slip
6 might break
You can use may instead of might in all these sentences.

30.3
2 might be able to meet
3 might have to work
4 might have to leave
5 might have to sell
6 might be able to fix
You can use may instead of might in all these sentences.

30.4
2 I might not go out this evening.
3 We might not be able to get tickets for the game.
4 Sam might not be able to go out with us tonight.
You can use may instead of might in all these sentences.

30.5
2 I might as well go
3 We might as well paint the bathroom.
4 We might as well watch it. / ... watch the film.
You can use may instead of might in all these sentences.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments