Wednesday 25 December 2019

39. IF I KNEW….. I WISH I KNEW …… ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
39. IF I KNEW….. I WISH I KNEW ……

A
Study this example situation:

Sarah wants to phone Paul, but she can't do this because she doesn't know his number. She says:

If I knew his number, I would phone him.

Sarah says: If I knew his number .... This tells us that she doesn't know his number. She is imagining the situation. The real situation is that she doesn't know his number.

When we imagine a situation like this, we use if+ past (if /knew /if you were /if we didn't etc.). But the meaning is present, not past:
·         There are many things I'd like to do if I had more time. (but I don't have time)
·         If I didn't want to go to the party, I wouldn't go. (but I want to go)
·         We wouldn't have any money if we didn't work. (but we work)
·         If you were in my position, what would you do?
·         It's a pity he can't drive. It would be useful if he could.
B
We use the past in the same way after wish (I wish /knew /I wish you were etc.). We use wish to say that we regret something, that something is not as we would like it to be:
·         I wish I knew Paul's phone number. (= I don 't know it and I regret this)
·         Do you ever wish you could fly? (you can't fly)
·         It rains a lot here. I wish it didn't rain so much.
·         It's very crowded here. I wish there weren't so many people. (there are a lot of people)
·         I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow, but unfortunately I do
C
If I were /if I was

After if and wish, you can use were instead of was (if I were /I wish it were etc.).
If I was /I wish it was are also possible. So you can say:
·         If I were you, I wouldn't buy that coat.            or If I was you, ...
·         I'd go for a walk if it weren't so cold.              or ... if it wasn't so cold.
·         I wish she were here.                                        Or  I wish she was here.
D
We do not normally use would in the if-part of the sentence or after wish:
·         If I were rich, I would travel a lot. (not If I would be rich)
·         Who would you ask if you needed help? (not if you would need)
·         I wish I had something to read. (not I wish I would have)

Sometimes wish ….. would is possible: I wish you would listen. See Unit 41 .
E
Could sometimes means 'would be able to' and sometimes 'was/were able to':

·         She could get a better job           (she could get= she would be able to get)
if she could speak English.          (if she could speak= if she was/were able to speak)
·         I wish I could help you.              (I wish I could = I wish I was able)

EXERCISES
39.1
Put the verb into the correct form.

1
If ____I knew ____ (I /know) his number, I would phone him.
2
____ I wouldn’t buy _____ (I /not /buy) that coat if I were you.
3
______(I /help) you if I could, but I'm afraid I can't.
4
We don't need a car at present, but we would need a car if _______ (we /live) in the country.
5
If we had the choice, ___________ (we /live) in the country.
6
This soup isn't very good. ________ (it /taste) better if it wasn't so salty.
7
I wouldn't mind living in England if the weather _________ (be) better.
8
If I were you, ______ (I /not /wait). ________ (I /go) now.
9
You're always tired. If _______ (you /not /go) to bed so late every night, you wouldn't be tired all the time.
10
I think there are too many cars. If ___________ (there /not /be) so many cars, ________ (there /not /be) so much pollution.
39.2
Write a sentence with if ... for each situation.

1
We don't see you very often because you live so far away.
____ If you didn’t live so far away, we’d see you more often. _________________
2
It's a nice book but it's too expensive, so I'm not going to buy it.
I_______ it if ________________so ______________
3
We don't go out very often - we can't afford it.
We ________more often _____________
4
I can't meet you tomorrow - I have to work late.
If ______________________________________________
5
It would be nice to have lunch outside but it's raining, so we can't.
We _____________________________________________
6
I don't want his advice, and that's why I'm not going to ask for it.
If _________________________________________________
39.3
Write sentences beginning I wish ....

1
I don't know many people (and I'm lonely).
____ I wish I knew more people ________
2
I don't have a computer (and I need one).
_____ I wish __________________________
3
Helen isn't here (and I need to see her).
_____________________________________
4
It's cold (and I hate cold weather).
_____________________________________
5
I live in a big city (and I don't like it).
_____________________________________
6
I can't go to the party (and I'd like to).
_____________________________________
7
I have to get up early tomorrow {but I'd like to sleep late).
_____________________________________
8
I don't know anything about cars (and my car has just broken down).
_____________________________________
9
I'm not feeling well (and it's not nice).
_____________________________________
39.4
Write your own sentences beginning I wish ……

1
(somewhere you'd like to be now - on the beach, in New York, in bed etc.)
I wish I _______________________________________
2
(something you'd like to have- a motorbike, more friends, lots of money etc.)
______________________________________________
3
(something you'd like to be able to do- sing, travel more, cook etc.)
______________________________________________
4
(something you 'd like to be - beautiful, strong, younger etc.)
______________________________________________

ANSWER KEY

39.1
3 I'd help /I would help
4 we lived
5 we'd live /we would live
6 It would taste
7 were/was
8 I wouldn't wait ... I'd go /I would go
9 you didn't go
10 there weren't ... there wouldn't be

39.2
2 I'd buy it /I would buy it if it weren't/wasn't so expensive.
3 We'd go out /We would go out more often if we could afford it.
4 If I didn't have to work late, I could meet you tomorrow. Or ... I'd meet /I would meet ... or ... I'd be able to meet ...
5 We could have lunch outside if it weren't raining /wasn't raining.
6 If I wanted his advice, I'd ask for it / I would ask for it

39.3
2 I wish I had a computer.
3 I wish Helen were/was here.
4 I wish it weren't/wasn't (so) cold.
5 I wish I didn't live in a big city.
6 I wish I could go to the party.
7 I wish I didn't have to get up early tomorrow.
8 I wish I knew something about cars.
9 I wish I were feeling /was feeling better.

39.4
Example answers:
1 I wish I was at home.
2 I wish I had a big garden.
3 I wish I could tell jokes.
4 I wish I was taller

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments