Friday 20 December 2019

26. Can, Could and (be) able to ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
26. Can, Could and (be) able to

A
We use can to say that something is possible or allowed, or that somebody has the ability to do something.
We use can+ infinitive (can do /can see etc.):
·         We can see the lake from our hotel.
·         'I don't have a pen.' 'You can use mine.'
·         Can you speak any foreign languages?
·         I can come and see you tomorrow if you like.
·         The word 'dream' can be a noun or a verb.

The negative is can't(= cannot):
·         I'm afraid I can't come to the party on Friday.
B
You can say that somebody is able to do something, but can is more usual:
We are able to see the lake from our hotel.

But can has only two forms: can (present) and could (past) . So sometimes it is necessary to use (be) able to. Compare:

·         I can't sleep.
·         Tom can come tomorrow.
·         Maria can speak French, Spanish and English.
·         I haven't been able to sleep recently.
·         Tom might be able to come tomorrow.
·         Applicants for the job must be able to speak two foreign languages.
C
Could

Sometimes could is the past of can. We use could especially with:
see         hear          smell         taste         feel       remember        understand

·         We had a lovely room in the hotel. We could see the lake.
·         As soon as I walked into the room, I could smell gas.
·         I was sitting at the back of the theatre and couldn't hear very well.

We also use could to say that somebody had the general ability or permission to do something:
·         My grandfather could speak five languages.
·         We were totally free. We could do what we wanted. (=we were allowed to do)
D
Could and was able to

We use could for general ability. But if you want to say that somebody did something in a specific situation, use was/were able to or managed to (not could):

·         The fire spread through the building very quickly, but fortunately everybody was able to escape /managed to escape. (not could escape)
·         We didn't know where David was, but we managed to find /were able to find him in the end. (not could find)

Compare:
·         Jack was an excellent tennis player when he was younger. He could beat anybody. (=he had the general ability to beat anybody)
·         but Jack and Andy played a match yesterday. Andy played well, but jack managed to beat him . (= he managed to beat him this time)

The negative couldn't (could not) is possible in all situations:
·         My grandfather couldn't swim.
·         We looked for David everywhere, but we couldn't find him.
·         Andy played well, but he couldn't beat jack.

EXERCISES
26.1
Complete the sentences using can or (be) able to. Use can if possible; otherwise use (be) able to.

1
Gary has travelled a lot. He ___can____speak five languages.
2
I haven't ____ been able to_____ sleep very well recently.
3
Nicole _________ drive, but she doesn't have a car.
4
I used to _________ stand on my head, but I can't do it any more.
5
I can't understand Mark. I've never ________________ understand him.
6
I can't see you on Friday, but I ________________ meet you on Saturday morning.
7
Ask Katherine about your problem. She might ________________ help you.
26.2
Write sentences about yourself using the ideas in brackets.

1
(something you used to be able to do)
___________I used to be able to sing well _________
2
(something you used to be able to do)
I used _____________________________________
3
(something you would like to be able to do)
I'd _________________________________________
4
(something you have never been able to do)
I've ________________________________________
26.3
Complete the sentences with can/can't/could/couldn't+ the following:

come    eat     hear     run     sleep     wait

1
I'm afraid I _____________can’t come__________to your party next week.
2
When Dan was 16, he ________________ 100 metres in 11 seconds.
3
'Are you in a hurry?' 'No, I've got plenty of time. I __________________
4
I was feeling sick yesterday. I _________________anything.
5
Can you speak a little louder? I ________________ you very well.
6
'You look tired.' 'Yes, I ____________last night.'
26.4
Complete the answers to the questions with was/were able to ....

1
A: Did everybody escape from the fire?
B: Yes, although the fire spread quickly, everybody ______was able to escape_______
2
A: Did you finish your work this afternoon?
B: Yes, there was nobody to disturb me, so I ______________________________
3
A: Did you have problems finding our house?
B: Not really. Your directions were good and we __________________
4
A: Did the thief get away?
B: Yes. No-one realised what was happening and the thief __________________
26.5
Complete the sentences using could, couldn't or managed to.

1
My grandfather travelled a lot. He ____could_____ speak five languages.
2
I looked everywhere for the book, but I ______ couldn’t ______ find it.
3
They didn't want to come with us at first, but we ____managed to ______ persuade them.
4
Laura had hurt her leg and _______________walk very well.
5
I ran my first marathon recently. It was very hard, but I _________ finish.
6
I looked very carefully and I ________________ see somebody in the distance.
7
I wanted to buy some tomatoes. The first shop I went to didn't have any, but I _______________ get some in the next shop.
8
My grandmother loved music. She ____________ play the piano very well.
9
A girl fell into the river, but fortunately we _____________ pull her out.
10
I had forgotten to bring my camera, so I _____________ take any pictures.

ANSWER KEY

26.1
3 can
4 be able to
5 been able to
6 can or will be able to
7 be able to

26.2
Example answers:
2 I used to be able to run fast.
3 I'd like to be able to play the piano.
4 I've never been able to get up early.

26.3
2 could run
3 can wait
4 couldn't eat
5 can't hear
6 couldn't sleep

26.4
2 was able to finish it
3 were able to find it
4 was able to get away

26.5
4 couldn't
5 managed to
6 could
7 managed to
8 could
9 managed to
10 couldn't

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments