Tuesday 24 December 2019

33. SHOULD 1 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE



ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
33. SHOULD 1

A
You should do something= it is a good thing to do or the right thing to do. You can use should to give advice or to give an opinion:

·         You look tired. You should go to bed.
·         The government should do more to improve education.
·         'Should we invite Stephanie to the party?' 'Yes, I think we should.'

We often use should with I think /I don't think /Do you think ... ?:
·         I think the government should do more to improve education.
·         I don't think you should work so hard.
·         'Do you think I should apply for this job?' 'Yes, I think you should.'

You shouldn't do something= it isn't a good thing to do:
·         You shouldn't believe everything you read in the newspapers.

Should is not as strong as must or have to:
·         You should apologise. (=it would be a good thing to do)
·         You must apologise. /You have to apologise. (=you have no alternative)
B
You can use should when something is not right or what you expect:

·         Where's Tina? She should be here by now. (=she isn't here yet, and this is not normal)
·         The price on this packet is wrong. It should be £2.50, not £3.50.
·         That man on the motorbike should be wearing a helmet.
We also use should to say that we expect something to happen:
·        Helen has been studying hard for the exam, so she should pass. (= I expect her to pass)
·         There are plenty of hotels in the town. It shouldn't be hard to find a place to stay.
(= I don't expect it to be hard)
C
You should have done something= you didn't do it, but it would have been the right thing to do:
·         You missed a great party last night. You should have come. Why didn't you? (=you didn't come, but it would have been good to come)
·         I wonder why they're so late. They should have got here long ago.

You shouldn't have done something= you did it, but it was the wrong thing to do:
·         I'm feeling sick. I shouldn't have eaten so much. (= I ate too much)
·         She shouldn't have been listening to our conversation. It was private. (= she was listening)

Compare should (do) and should have (done):
·         You look tired. You should go to bed now.
·         You went to bed very late last night. You should have gone to bed earlier.
D
Ought to ...

You can use ought to instead of should in the sentences on this page. We say 'ought to do' (with to):
·         Do you think I ought to apply for this job? (= Do you think I should apply ... ?)
·         Jack ought not to go to bed so late. (= Jack shouldn't go ...)
·         It was a great party last night. You ought to have come.
·         Helen has been studying hard for the exam, so she ought to pass.

EXERCISES
33.1
For each situation, write a sentence with should or shouldn't+ one of the following:

go away for a few days
put some pictures on the walls
go to bed so late
take a photo
Look for another job
use her car so much

1
Anna needs a change.
____ She should go away for a few days. ______
2
Your salary is very low.
You _________________________
3
Jack always finds it hard to get up.
He _________________________
4
What a beautiful view!
You _________________________
5
Sue drives everywhere. She never walks.
She _________________________
6
Dan's room isn't very interesting.
_________________________
33.2
Read the situations and write sentences with I think / I don't think ... should ....

1
Joe and Catherine are planning to get married. You think it's a bad idea.
________ I don’t think they should get married. ________________
2
Jane has a bad cold, but plans to go out tonight. You don't think this is a good idea. You say to her:
_________________________
3
Peter needs a job. He's just seen an advert for a job which you think would be ideal for him, but he's not sure whether to apply or not. You say to him
________________________________________________________
4
The government wants to increase taxes, but you don't think this is a good idea.
________________________________________________________
33.3
Complete the sentences with should (have)+ the verb in brackets.

1
Helen ___ should pass _____the exam. She's been studying very hard. (pass)
2
You missed a great party last night. _____You should have come _____. (come)
3
We don't see you enough. You ____________ and see us more often. (come)
4
I'm in a difficult position. What do you think I __________ now? (do)
5
I'm sorry that I didn't take your advice. I ____________what you said. (do)
6
We lost the game yesterday, but we _________________.We were the better team. (win)
7
Tanya has a tennis match against Jane tomorrow. Jane ______________-she's much better than Tanya. (win)
8
'Is Joe here yet?' 'Not yet, but he __________ here soon.' (be)
9
We went the wrong way and got lost. We ____________ right, not left. (turn)
33.4
Read the situations and write sentences with should/ shouldn’t. Some of the sentences are past and some are present.

1
I'm feeling sick. I ate too much. ______I shouldn’t have eaten so much.______
2
That man on the motorbike isn't wearing a helmet. That's dangerous.
He ______should be wearing a helmet. ______________
3
When we got to the restaurant, there were no free tables. We hadn't reserved one.
We ______________________________________
4
The notice says that the shop is open every day from 8.30. It is 9 o'clock now, but the shop isn't open yet.
________________________________________
5
The speed limit is 30 miles an hour, but Kate is doing 50.
She ____________________________________________
6
Laura told me her address, but I didn't write it down. Now I can't remember the house number.
I _____________________________________
7
I was driving behind another car. Suddenly, the driver in front stopped without warning and I drove into the back of his car. It wasn't my fault.
The driver in front ____________________________
8
I walked into a wall. I was looking behind me. I wasn't looking where I was going.
______________________________________________________

ANSWER KEY

33.1
2 You should look for another job.
3 He shouldn't go to bed so late.
4 You should take a photo.
5 She shouldn't use her car so much.
6 He should put some pictures on the walls.

33.2
2 I don't think you should go out . /I think you should stay at home.
3 I think you should apply for it. /_for the j ob.
4 I don't think the government should increase taxes.


33.3
3 should come
4 should do
5 should have done
6 should have won
7 should win
8 should be
9 should have turned

33.4
3 We should have reserved a table.
4 The shop should be open (now). /The shop should have opened by now. Or It should ...
5 She shouldn't be doing SO. /She shouldn't be driving so fast. /She should be driving more slowly.
6 I should have written down her address. /I should have written her address down. Or I should have written it down.
7 The driver in front shouldn't have stopped without warning. /... shouldn't have stopped so suddenly.
8 I should have been looking where 1 was going. /I shouldn't have been looking behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments