Friday 20 December 2019

23. I WILL AND I’M GOING TO ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
23. I WILL AND I’M GOING TO

A
Future actions
Study the difference between will and (be) going to:

Will ('ll): We use will to announce a new decision. The party is a new idea.
Sarah is talking to Helen:


(be) going to: We use (be) going to when we have already decided to do something. Helen had already decided to invite lots of people before she spoke to Dan.

Later that day, Helen meets Dan:
 
Compare:
·         'Gary phoned while you were out.' 'OK. I’ll call him back.'
'Gary phoned while you were out.' 'Yes, I know. I'm going to call him back.'
·         'Anna is in hospital.' 'Oh really? I didn't know. I’ll go and visit her.'
'Anna is in hospital.' 'Yes, I know. I'm going to visit her this evening.'
B
Future happenings and situations (predicting the future)

We use both will and going to to predict future happenings and situations. So you can say:
·         I think the weather will be nice later. Or
I think the weather is going to be nice later.
·         Those shoes are well-made. They’ll last a long time. Or
Those shoes are well-made. They're going to last a long time.

When we say something is going to happen, we know this from the situation now. What is happening now shows that something is going to happen in the future. For example:
·         Look at those black clouds. It's going to rain. (not It will rain)
(We can see that it is going to rain from the clouds that are in the sky now.)
·         I feel terrible. I think I'm going to be sick. (not I think I'll be sick)
(I think I'm going to be sick because I feel terrible now.)

Do not use will in this type of situation.

EXERCISES
22.1
Complete the sentences using will ('ll) or going to.

1
A: Why are you turning on the TV?
B:___I’m going to watch____ the news. (I /watch)
2
A: Oh, I've just realised. I haven't got any money.
B: Haven't you? Well, don't worry. __________________ you some. (I /lend)
3
A: I've got a headache.
B: Have you? Wait a second and ___________ an aspirin for you. (I /get)
4
A: Why are you filling that bucket with water?
B: __________ the car. (I /wash)
5
A: I've decided to repaint this room.
B: Oh, have you? What colour _____________ it? (you /paint)
6
A: Where are you going? Are you going shopping?
B: Yes, _____________ some things for dinner. (I/ buy)
7
A: I don't know how to use the washing machine.
B: It's easy. ________you. (I /show)
8
A: What would you like to eat?
B:_______________ a pizza, please. (I /have)
9
A: Did you call Lisa?
B: Oh, no. I completely forgot. ___________ her now. (I /call)
10
A: Has Dan decided what to do when he leaves school?
B: Yes. Everything is planned. _____________a holiday for a few weeks.
(he /have) Then ________a management training course. (he /do)
22.2
Read the situations and complete the sentences using will ('ll) or going to.

1
The phone rings and you answer. Somebody wants to speak to John.

CALLER   : Hello. Can I speak to John, please?
YOU          : just a moment. ____ I’ll get _____ him. (I /get)
2
It's a nice day, so you have decided to take a walk. just before you go, you tell your friend.

YOU          : The weather's too nice to stay in. ____________ a walk. (I /take)
FRIEND    : Good idea! I think ____________ you. (I /join)
3
Your friend is worried because she has lost her driving licence.

YOU         : Don't worry. I'm sure ______ it. (you /find)
FRIEND   : I hope so.
4
There was a job advertised in the paper recently. At first you were interested, but then you decided not to apply.

FRIEND    : Have you decided what to do about that job you were interested in?
YOU          : Yes, ___________ for it. (I /not /apply)
5
You and a friend are stuck in traffic. You have to be in a meeting in five minutes and you need at least another 20 minutes to get there.

YOU            : The meeting begins in five minutes. _________________ . (we /be late)
6
Ann and Sam are staying at a hotel. Their room is in very bad condition, especially the ceiling.

ANN            : The ceiling doesn't look very safe, does it?
SAM            : No, it looks as if ____________________. (it /fall down)
7
Paul has to go to the airport to catch a plane tomorrow morning.

PAUL         : Kate, I need somebody to take me to the airport tomorrow morning.
KATE         : That's no problem. ___________you. (I /take) What time is your flight?
PAUL         : 10.30.
KATE          : OK,______________ you up at your house at about 8 o'clock then. (I /pick)

Later that day, Joe offers to take Paul to the airport.
JOE            : Paul, do you want me to take you to the airport?
PAUL        : No thanks, Joe_____________ me. (Kate /take)

ANSWER KEY

23.1

2 I’ll lend
3 I'll get
4 I'm going to wash
5 are you going to paint
6 I'm going to buy
7 I'll show
8 I'll have
9 I'll call
10 He's going to have .. . he's going to do

23.2

2 I'm going to take ... I'll join
3 you'll find ('you're going to find' is possible)
4 I'm not going to apply or I'm not applying
5 We're going to be late.
6 it's going to fall down
7 I'll take ... I'll pick ... Kate is going to take or Kate is taking

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments