Sunday 22 December 2019

28. Must and Can’t ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
28. Must and Can’t

A
Study this example:

You can use must to say that you believe something is certain:
·         You've been travelling all day. You must be tired. (Travelling is tiring and you've been travelling all day, so you must be tired.)
·         'Joe is a hard worker.' 'Joe? You must be joking. He doesn't do anything.'
·         Louise must get very bored in her job. She does the same thing every day.
·         I'm sure Sally gave me her address. I must have it somewhere.

You can use can't to say that you believe something is not possible:
·         You've just had lunch. You can't be hungry already. (People are not normally hungry just after eating a meal. You've just eaten, so you can't be hungry.)
·         They haven't lived here for very long. They can't know many people.

Study the structure:
I/you/he (etc.)
must
can’t
be (tired/hungry/at work etc.)
be (doing/going/joking etc)
do/get/know/have etc
B
For the past we use must have (done) and can't have (done).
Study this example:
Martin and Lucy are standing at the door of their friends' house.
They have rung the doorbell twice, but nobody has answered. Lucy says:

They must have gone out.
·         'We used to live very near the motorway.' 'Did you? It must have been noisy.'
·         'I've lost one of my gloves.' 'You must have dropped it somewhere.'
·         Sarah hasn't contacted me. She can't have got my message.
·         Tom walked into a wall. He can't have been looking where he was going.
Study the structure:
I/you/he (etc.)
must
can’t
have
been (asleep/ at work etc.)
been (doing/looking etc.)
gone/got/known etc.

You can use couldn't have instead of can't have:
Sarah couldn't have got my message.
Tom couldn't have been looking where he was going.

EXERCISES
28.1
Put in must or can't.

1
You've been travelling all day. You __must____ be tired.
2
That restaurant ______ be very good. It's always full of people.
3
That restaurant _____ be very good. It's always empty.
4
I'm sure I gave you the key. You _____ have it. Have you looked in your bag?
5
I often see that woman walking along this street. She _______ live near here.
6
It rained every day during their holiday, so they _________ have had a very nice time.
7
Congratulations on passing your exam. You _________ be very pleased.
8
You got here very quickly. You _____________ have walked very fast.
9
Bill and Sue always stay at luxury hotels, so they __________ be short of money.
28.2
Complete each sentence with a verb (one or two words).

1
I've lost one of my gloves. I must ___ have dropped ____ it somewhere.
2
Their house is very near the motorway. It must _____be____ very noisy.
3
Sarah knows a lot about films. She must _________to the cinema a lot.
4
I left my bike outside the house last night and now it's gone. Somebody must _________ it.
5
'How old is Ted?' 'He's older than me. He must ____________ at least 40.'
6
I didn't hear the phone ring. I must ____________asleep.
7
A: You're going on holiday soon. You must ___________ forward to it.
B: Yes, it will be really good to get away.
8
The police have dosed the road, so we have to go a different way. There must _________ an accident.
9
I'm sure you know this song. You must __________ it before.
10
There is a man walking behind us. He has been walking behind us for the last 20 minutes. He must __________ us.
28.3
Read the situations and use the words in brackets to write sentences with must have and can't have.

1
We went to their house and rang the doorbell, but nobody answered. (they /go out)
______ They must have gone out ___________________
2
Sarah hasn't contacted me. (she /get /my message)
______ She can’t have got my message ______________
3
The jacket you bought is very good quality. (it /very expensive)
4
I haven't seen our neighbours for ages. (they /go away)
5
I can't find my umbrella. (I /leave /it in the restaurant last night)
6
Amy was in a very difficult situation when she lost her job. (it /easy for her)
7
There was a man standing outside the cafe. (he /wait /for somebody)
8
Rachel did the opposite of what I asked her to do. (she /understand /what I said)
9
When I got back to my car, the door was unlocked. (I /forget /to lock it)
10
I was woken up in the night by the noise next door. (my neighbours /have /a party)
11
The tight was red, but the car didn't stop. (the driver /see /the red tight)

ANSWER KEY

28.1
2 must          6 can't
3 can't           7 must
4 must          8 must
5 must           9 can't

28.2
3 go
4 have taken /have stolen /have moved
5 be
6 have been
7 be looking
8 have been
9 have heard
10 be following

28 .3
3 It must have been very expensive.
4 They must have gone away.
5 I must have left it in the restaurant last night.
6 It can't have been easy for her.
7 He must have been waiting for somebody.
8 She can't have understood what I said. or She couldn't have understood what I said.
9 I must have forgotten to lock it.
10 My neighbours must have been having a party.
11 The driver can't have seen the red light. Or The driver couldn't have seen .

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments