Tuesday 3 December 2019

UNIT 9 (READING) PART VII STARTER TOEIC 3RD EDITION


STARTER TOEIC 3RD EDITION
UNIT 9 (READING) PART VII


PART VII. READING COMPREHENSION

Questions 1 through 3 refer to the following advertisement.

HEY NOW!!!!

Are you looking for something fun to do on your weekends? My name is Andy and I’m the captain of the River Valley Chipmunks. We are a co-ed basketball team that is looking for new players.

We practice three times a week at the university gym, and play against other teams on Saturday afternoons. We have players of all ages, but you must be over 18. We don’t care how tall you are. We just like to have fun.

If you like basketball and have time in the evenings and on weekends, come check us out. Become an RV Chipmunk!

1
What is the name of the basketball team?
3
What two conditions should you meet to become an RV Chipmunk?
A
Andy
A
Like basketball and have time in the evenings and on weekends
B
The River Valley Chipmunks
B
Like baseball and have time in the evenings and on weekends
C
The University Gym
C
Like basketball and go to River Valley High School.
D
Check Us Out
D
Like baseball and have time to practice during the week
2
According to the advertisement, which person would probably NOT be accepted as a member of the team?


A
A man


B
A woman


C
A short person


D
A 17-year-old-girl



Questions 4 through 7 refer to the following article.

News flash!
From Capital City

World Marathon Record Beaten!

Jeanne Smedley has just set a new world record in the Capital City Mini-Marathon. Smedley, 26 and a native of Capital City, set a new record of 27 minutes and 14 seconds. This is not only the fastest time ever run by a woman, but beats the fastest time for men as well. Remarkably, not only did Smedley run fast enough to win the race and beat the record, but she also had time to stop and help another runner who had fallen down. Said injured athlete Meg Connors of Smedley, “I was amazed that she stopped to help me. She lost a lot of time, but she is such a kind person. I’ve never seen her do anything selfish.”

Both Mulgrew, another runner, said “Jeanne is a true champion. We need more people like her in sport. She is a great role model for young people.”

Smedley began running at an early age. “I used to help my father make deliveries in our neighborhood. The faster that I could deliver things, the more money he would pay me. So I would run as fast as I could to make each delivery. I soon got pretty good at running.”

Jeanne Smedley will be receiving her gold medal and a $1,000 prize in front of the City Zoo at 2:00 p.m. on Monday.
                                                                                                                                          

4
According to the article, what is Jeanne Smedley?
6
What is her record time for?
A
A race car driver
A
Female runners
B
An opera singer
B
Male runners
C
A runner
C
All runners
D
A bus driver
D
The article does not say
5
What is the new record time?
7
What will Smedley receive on Monday?
A
27 hours and 14 minutes
A
A medal and some money
B
26 years
B
A medal and free entry to the zoo
C
27 minutes and 14 seconds
C
$1,000
D
26 minutes
D
Some gold

Questions 8 through 11 refer to the following letter.

Hi George,

How are you doing? Sorry I haven’t written lately. I keep meaning to, but then I get too busy. I’ve had no available time at all recently. Soccer try-outs have been keeping me pretty busy. I’ve had no time to do anything except practice, practice, practice all day long. The weather is a little rainy and it keeps the grass wet. That makes it very difficult to run and stop well. A lot of players get their soccer boots stuck in the mud. I’d really like to get another pair of soccer boots because mine are ruined from the mud, but I don’t have any money at the moment. I wanted to get a part-time job to make some money to buy boots. But I don’t have the time. So for now, a new pair of boots is just a dream.

I think I have a good chance of being selected for the team. They need to get rid of two more players, and I think that I am better than they are. You know how badly I have always wanted to play professional soccer. If I get chosen for the team. I’ll send you free tickets to every game I play!

Well, gotta go practice some more

Your brother, Bill

8
What does Bill want to be?
10
What does Bill want to buy?
A
A brother
A
New soccer team
B
A professional soccer player
B
A soccer team
C
A shoes salesperson
C
Some tickets
D
A manager
D
Two more players
9
What does Bill do all day?
11
What will Bill give George if he makes the team?
A
Water the soccer field
A
New soccer boots
B
Write his brother, George
B
A letter
C
Practice a sport
C
Tickets
D
Sell soccer shoes
D
Nothing

Questions 12 through 16 refer to the following survey results and article.

What do today’s teeens prefer?

In a survey done at Frankklin Pierce High School, students had a wide range of options. Overall, however, students seemed to favor extremely fast sports. “Extreme speed is awesome,” said 17-year-old Brock Nakamura. Students like their sports, and they like them fast. The most popular sport was extreme urban skateboarding. 52 percent of the students ranked this as their number one choice. “I think it’s because most kids have skateboards,” said 17-year-old Gwyn Park, “The other stuff on the list is too expensive for us to afford.” Snowboarding came in second, with 26 percent of the votes. Downhill skiing placed third, with 17 percent of the votes. Mountain biking was last, with only 5 percent of the votes.

Dear teachers,

Please read the attached survey. The results of this survey appeared in the Franklin Weekly News, and I think that they should be of interest to all physical education teachers in Greenville. Media reports are always talking about a nation of unfit youngsters. These days It is increasingly difficult to get our students interested in sports. I believe this is because until now, we have been offering traditional sports such as baseball and basketball. Of course, these will always appeal to a number of students, but there are a lot of students who, as the survey shows, want greater excitement. I am proposin to the Board of Education that they allow us to introduce new, more exciting sports to our curriculum. There are a couple of skateboarding parks in town, and I think we should be allowed to book them for lessons, or for after-school activities. This is just a small start, but with time I hope to expand the program, perhaps even constructing skate-boarding equipment on school grounds. Please let me know what you think of my proposals, or if you have any suggestions of your own.


Regards,
Winston Green
Physical Education Department,
Greenville High School


12
According to the article, what types of sports do teenagers prefer?
15
What is the purpose of Winston Green’s letter?
A
Slow ones
A
To complain about the survey
B
Fat ones
B
To suggest new ideas for sports in local schools
C
Expensive ones
C
To quit his job
D
Extremely fast ones
D
To suggest that students take up baseball and basketball.
13
At Franklin Pierce High School, which sport is the second most popular?
16
Who is Winston Green?
A
Mountain biking
A
A student at Franklin Pierce High School
B
Skateboarding
B
A student at Greenville High School
C
Skiing
C
A teacher at Franklin Pierce High School
D
Snowboarding
D
A teacher at Greenville High School
14
According to the information in the reading, which sport can be assumed to be the least expensive?


A
Mountain biking


B
Skateboarding


C
Skiing


D
Snowboarding



ANSWER KEY

1
B
2
D
3
A
4
C
5
C
6
C
7
A
8
B
9
C
10
A
11
C
12
D
13
D
14
B
15
B
16
D

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments