Tuesday 24 December 2019

31. Have to and Must ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
31. Have to and Must

A
I have to do something= it is necessary to do it, I am obliged to do it:

·         You can't turn right here. You have to turn left.
·         I have to wear glasses for reading.
·         Robert can't come out with us this evening. He has to work late.
·         Last week Tina broke her arm and had to go to hospital.
·         I haven't had to go to the doctor for ages.

We use do/does/did in questions and negative sentences (for the present and past simple):
·         What do I have to do to get a new driving licence? (not What have I to do?)
·         Karen doesn't have to work Saturdays. (not Karen hasn't to)
·         Why did you have to leave early?

You can say I’ll have to ... , I'm going to have to ... and I might /I may have to ... :
·         They can't fix my computer, so I'll have to buy a new one. Or I'm going to have to buy a new one.
·         Tom might have to work late tomorrow. or Tom may have to work ... (=it's possible that he will have to)
B
Must is similar to have to:
·         It's later than I thought. I must go            . or I have to go.

You can use must or have to to give your own opinion (for example, to say what you think is necessary, or to recommend someone to do something):

·         I haven't spoken to Sue for ages. I must phone her. /I have to phone her.
(= I say this is necessary)
·         Mark is a really nice person. You must meet him. /You have to meet him.
(I recommend this)

We use have to (not usually must) to say what someone is obliged to do. The speaker is not giving his/her own opinion:
·         I have to work from 8.30 to 5.30 every day. (a fact, not an opinion)
·         Jane has to travel a lot for her work.

But must is used in written rules and instructions:
·         Applications for the job must be received by 18 May.
·         (exam instruction) Answer all the questions. You must write your answers in ink.

You cannot use must to talk about the past :
·         We didn't have much time. We had to hurry. (not we must hurry)
C
Mustn't and don't have to are completely different:
You mustn't do something = it is necessary that you do not do it (so don't do it):
·         You must keep this a secret . You mustn't tell anyone. (= don't tell anyone)
·         I promised I would be on time. I mustn't be late. (= I must be on time)
You don't have to do something = you don't need to do it (but you can if you want):
·         You don't have to tell Tom what happened. I can tell him myself.
·         I don't have to be at the meeting, but I think I'll go anyway.
D
You can use have got to instead of have to. So you can say:
·         I've got to work tomorrow. or I have to work tomorrow.
·         When has Helen got to go? or When does Helen have to go?

EXERCISES
31.1
Complete the sentences using have to /has to /had to.

1
Bill starts work at 5 a.m. ______He has to get up _______ at four. (he /get up)
2
'I broke my arm last week' ______’Did you have to go '_____ to the hospital? (you /go)
3
There was a lot of noise from the street. ______________the window. (we /dose)
4
Karen can't stay for the whole meeting. ______________ early. (she /leave)
5
How old ______________ to drive in your country? (you /be)
6
I don't have much time. ___________soon. (1 /go)
7
How is Paul enjoying his new job? ___________ a lot? (he /travel)
8
'I'm afraid I can't stay long.' 'What time ________________?' (you /go)
9
'The bus was late again.' 'How long _______________?' (you /wait)
10
There was nobody to help me. I _________ everything by myself. (1 /do)
31.2
Complete the sentences using have to+ the verbs in the list. Some sentences are positive (I have to ... etc.) and some are negative (I don't have to ... etc.}:

ask          do        drive            get up       go          make            make           pay              show


1
I'm not working tomorrow, so I ____don’t have to get up________  early.
2
Steve didn't know how to turn off the computer, so I ____had to show _____him.
3
Excuse me a moment- I ____________ a phone call. I won't be long.
4
I'm not too busy. I have a few things to do, but I __________them now.
5
I couldn't find the street I wanted. I __________ somebody for directions.
6
The car park is free. You __________ to park your car there.
7
A man was injured in the accident, but he __________ to hospital because it wasn't serious.
8
Jane has a senior position in the company. She _____________ important decisions.
9
When Patrick starts his new job next month, he ________ work every day.
31.3
In some of these sentences, must is wrong or unnatural. Correct the sentences where necessary.

1
It's later than I thought. I must go.
___OK (have to is also correct)____
2
I must work every day from 8.30 to 5.30.
___ I have to work ______
3
You must come and see us again soon.
_______________________________
4
Tom can't meet us tomorrow. He must work.
__________________________________
5
I must work late yesterday evening.
__________________________________
6
I must get up early tomorrow. I have a lot to do.
__________________________________
7
Julia wears glasses. She must wear glasses since she was very young.
__________________________________
31.4
Complete the sentences with mustn't or don't/doesn't have to.

1
I don't want anyone to know about our plan. You ____mustn’t_____tell anyone.
2
Richard __-doesn’t have to ______ wear a suit to work, but he usually does.
3
I can sleep late tomorrow morning because I ____________ go to work.
4
Whatever you do, you ______touch that switch. It's very dangerous.
5
There's a lift in the building, so we ________ climb the stairs.
6
You ______________ forget what I told you. It's very important.
7
Silvia __________ get up early, but she usually does.
8
Don't make so much noise. We __________ wake the children.
9
I ______  eat too much. I'm supposed to be on a diet.
10
You ________ be a good player to enjoy a game of tennis

ANSWER KEY

31 .1
3 We had to close
4 She has to leave or She'll have to leave /She will have to leave
5 do you have to be
6 I have to go or I'll have to go /I will have to go
7 Does he have to travel
8 do you have to go or to go
9 did you have to wait
10 had to do

31.2
3 have to make
4 don't have to do
5 had to ask
6 don't have to pay or won't have to pay /will not have to pay
7 didn't have to go
8 has to make
9 will have to drive or is going to have to drive

31.3
3 OK (have to is also correct)
4 He has to work.
5 I had to work late yesterday evening.
6 OK (have to is also correct)
7 She has had to wear glasses since she was very young.
For the present perfect (has had) with for and since, see Units 71- 12.

31.4
3 don't have to
4 mustn't
5 don't have to
6 mustn't
7 doesn't have to
8 mustn't
9 mustn't
10 don't have to

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments