Friday 20 December 2019

22. WILL/SHALL 2 ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
22. WILL/SHALL 2

A
We do not use will to say what somebody has already arranged or decided to do:

·         Diane is working next week. (not Diane will work)
·         Are you going to watch anything on TV this evening? (not Will you watch)
For 'is working' and 'Are you going to ... ?',see Units 19-20.

But often, when we talk about the future, we are not talking about what somebody has decided to do.
For example:

She’ll pass does not mean 'she has decided to pass'. Joe is saying what he knows or believes will happen.
He is predicting the future.
When we predict a future happening or situation, we use will/won't.

Some more examples:
·         They've been away a long time. When they return, they’ll find a lot of changes here.
·         'Where will you be this time next year?' 'I’ll be in Japan.'
·         That plate is hot. If you touch it, you’ll burn yourself.
·         Tom won't pass the exam. He hasn't studied hard enough.
·         Anna looks completely different now. You won't recognise her.
·         When will you get your exam results?
B
We often use will ('ll) with:

probably

I’ll probably be home late tonight
(I’m) sure

Don't worry about the exam. I'm sure you’ll pass.
(I) think

Do you think Sarah will like the present we bought her?
(I) don’t think

I don't think the exam will be very difficult.
I wonder

I wonder what will happen.

After I hope, we generally use the present (will is also possible):

·         I hope Kate passes the exam. (or I hope Kate will pass .. . )
·         I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.
C
Generally we use will to talk about the future, but sometimes we use will to talk about now.
For example:
·         Don't phone Ann now. She’ll be busy. (=she'll be busy now)
D
I shall ... / we shall ...

Normally we use shall only with I and we. You can say:
I shall or I will (I'll) …….. we shall or we will (we'll)
·         I shall be late this evening. (or I will be)
·         We shall probably go to France in June. (or We will probably go)

In spoken English we normally use I’ll and we’ll:
·         We’ll probably go to France.

The negative of shall is shall not or shan't:
·         I shan't be here tomorrow. (or I won't be)

Do not use shall with he/she/it/you/they:
·         She will be very angry. (not She shall be)

EXERCISES
22.1
Which form of the verb is better in these sentences? The verbs are underlined.

1
Diane isn't free on Saturday. She'll work /She's working. (She's working is correct)
2
I'll go /I'm going to a party tomorrow night. Would you like to come too?
3
I think Amy will get /is getting the job. She has a lot of experience.
4
I can't meet you this evening. A friend of mine will come /is coming to see me.
5
A: Have you decided where to go for your holidays?
B: Yes, we'll go /we're going to Italy.
6
Don't be afraid of the dog. It won't hurt /It isn't hurting you.
22.2
Put in will (‘ll) or won't.

1
Can you wait for me? 1 ____won’t_____be long.
2
Don't ask Amanda for advice. She __________ know what to do.
3
I'm glad you're coming to see us next week. It _______________be good to see you again.
4
I'm sorry about what happened yesterday. It _____________ happen again.
5
You don't need to take an umbrella with you. I don't think it _____________ ram.
6
I've got some incredible news! You ________________ believe it.
22.3
Complete the sentences using will (‘ll). Choose from the following:

it /be                      she /come             you /get           you /like
people /live              it /look             we /meet           you /pass

1
Don't worry about your exam. I'm sure ____ you’ll pass______
2
Why don't you try on this jacket? ________ nice on you.
3
You must meet Daniel sometime. I think _____________ him.
4
It's raining. Don't go out ________________wet.
5
Do you think ______________ longer in the future?
6
Bye! I'm sure ______________ again before long.
7
I've invited Anna to the party, but I don't think __________________
8
It takes me an hour to get to work at the moment, but when the new road is finished, ____________ much quicker.
22.4
Write questions using do you think ... will ...? +the following:

be back      cost              end           get married         happen        ram         like

1
I've bought this picture for Karen. ______ Do you think she’ll like it ________?
2
The weather doesn't look very good. Do you __________________?
3
The meeting is still going on. When do you _____________________?
4
My car needs to be repaired. How much _____________________?
5
Sally and David are in love. Do ________________________?
6
'I'm going out now.' 'OK. What time __________________ ?'
7
The future situation is uncertain. What _______________________?
22.5
Where do you think you will be at these times? Write true sentences about yourself. Use:

I'll be ... or I'll probably be ... or I don't know where I’ll be

1
(next Monday evening at 7.45)
I’ll be at home
or   I’ll probably be at home
or    I don’t know where I’ll be
2
(at 5 o'clock tomorrow morning)
_______________________________
3
(at 10.30 tomorrow morning)
__________________________________
4
(next Saturday afternoon at 4.15)
__________________________________
5
(this time next year)
__________________________________

ANSWER KEY

22.1
2 I'm going
3 will get
4 is coming
5 we're going
6 It won't hurt

22.2
2 won't
3 'll I will
4 won't
5 'll I will
6 won't

22.3
2 It will look
3 you'll like /you will like
4 You'll get /You will get
5 people will live
6 we'll meet /we will meet
7 she'll come /she will come
8 it will be

22.4
2 Do you think it will rain?
3 When do you think it will end?
4 How much do you think it will cost?
5 Do you think they'll get married? I ... they will get married?
6 What time do you think you'll be back? I ... you will be back?
7 What do you think will happen?

22.5
Example answers:
2 I'll be in bed.
3 I'll be at work.
4 I'll probably be at home.
5 I don't know where I'll be this time next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments