Thursday 16 August 2018

GRAMMAR 2: PRESENT PERFECT


FIRST CERTIFICATE LANGUAGE PRACTICE
GRAMMAR 2: PRESENT PERFECT

Recent events
Present perfect simple
The present perfect simple is used to describe recent events.
I’ve just left my shopping bag behind.
The event happened in the past, but there is a result in the present.
I’ve broken my arm, as you can see.
No definite time is given for the event, but to emphasize the idea of recentness we can use just.
I’ve broken my watch.
We can also describe events that have not happened.
I haven’t found her phone number yet.

Indefinite events
Present perfect simple
No definite time is given for the events. They are a series of actions in our life up to now.
I’ve been to France three times.
After it’s/This is the first/second time we use the present perfect. It also refers to our life up to now.
This is the first time I have eaten Japanese food.
compared with past simple
Events described using the past simple have definite times.
I went to France last year.
I ate at a Japanese restaurant on Saturday.
If we think a definite place for an event, this may suggest a definite time.
I left my shopping bag on the train.

Extended or repeated events.
Present perfect simple
The present perfect simple describes a state which lasts up to the present.
I’ve lived in this house for five years.
The present perfect simple can describe a habitual action in a period of time up to the present.
I’ve always left my bike here, and nobody has complained before!
present perfect continuous
The present perfect continuous can also describe a state which lasts up to the present moment.
I’ve been living in this house for five years.
There is a little difference in meaning between simple and continuous in this case or in How long questions.
How long have you lived/ been living in this house?
The verbs wait, sit, lie, stay prefer the present perfect continuous.
I’ve been waiting for ages

Present perfect simple or continuous?
Completed action
The present perfect simple can show that an action is complete.
I’ve finished my homework!
if we say how many or how much we use the present perfect simple form. A certain amount has been completed.
I’ve written ten pages of my homework!
Not completed
The present perfect continuous can show that an action is not completed, or that it has finished recently.
We’ve been walking for hours! Let’s have a rest.
I’ve been fixing my scooter. That’s why I’m so dirty!
Present result or action in progress
We use the present perfect simple if our attention is on the present result.
I’ve done my homework. Now I can watch the television.
We use the present perfect continuous if our attention is on the action of progress.
I’ve been doing my homework all evening! I didn’t know it would take so long.


Choose the best answer.
1.

 







a)        Did you enjoy the match?
b)       Have you enjoyed the match?
2.

 







a)        What have you been doing?
b)       What have you done?
3.








a)        He was married six times.
b)       He has been married six times.
4.








a)        How long have you been here?
b)        How long are you here for?
5.







a)        I’ve been waiting for an hour.
b)       I waited for an hour.
6.
 







a)        Where did Wendy go?
b)        Where had Wendy been?

ANSWER KEY
1
2
3
4
5
6
A
B
A
A
B
A

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments