Tuesday 21 August 2018

STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION SKILL 55: DISTINGUISH SPECIFIC AND GENERAL IDEAS


LONGMAN COMPLETE COURSE FOR THE TOEFL TEST
STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION

SKILL 55: DISTINGUISH SPECIFIC AND GENERAL IDEAS

With countable singular nouns it is possible to use either the definite or the indefinite article, but they have different meanings. The definite article is used to refer to one specific noun.

Tom will bring the book tomorrow.
(There is one specific book that Tom will bring tomorrow)

He will arrive on the first Tuesday in July.
(There is only one first Tuesday in July.)

He sailed on the Pacific Ocean.
(There is only one Pacific Ocean)

The indefinite article is used when the noun could be one of several different nouns.
Tom will bring a book tomorrow.
(Tom will bring one book)

He will arrive on a Tuesday in July.
(He will arrive on one of four Tuesday in July)

He sailed on an ocean.
(He sailed on any one of the world’s ocean.

The following chart outlines the key information that you should understand about specific and general ideas.
EXERCISE 55: Each of the following sentences contains one or more articles. Circle the articles. Draw an arrow to the nouns they describe. Then indicate if the sentences are correct (C) or incorrect (I).

 
……………
3
The ball hit a child on a head.
……………
4
He had a best grade in the class on the exam.
……………
5
The people who came here yesterday were here again today.
……………
6
She was a most beautiful girl in the room.
……………
7
The trip that I took last year to the Bahamas was the only vacation I had all year.
……………
8
I need a piece of paper so that I can finish the report that I am working on.
……………
9
A basketball player threw the ball to a center of the court.
……………
10
The sixth-grade class went on a field trip to visit a Lincoln Memorial.


ANSWER KEY
1
I
(should be the Snake River)
2
C

3
I
(should be the head)
4
I
(should be the best grade)
5
C

6
I
(should be the most beautiful girl)
7
C

8
C

9
I
(should be the center)
10
I
(should be the Lincoln Memorial)


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments