Saturday 25 August 2018

TEST YOUR VOCABULARY FOR MEDICINE Symptoms & common illnesses – part 2


TEST YOUR VOCABULARY FOR MEDICINE
Symptoms & common illnesses – part 2

ALL OF THIS ILLNESS in part 1 of this exercise also have informal names. Match the informal and formal names.
INFORMAL
FORMAL
1
Chickenpox is the same as ____________
allergic rhinitis
2
A cold is the same as ____________
infectious parotitis
3
The flu is the same as ____________
coryza
4
German measles is the same as ____________
influenza
5
Hay fever is the same as ____________
rubella
6
Measles is the same as ____________
rubeola
7
Mumps is the same as ____________
pertussis
8
Whooping cough is the same as ____________
vericella

Exercise 2. Complete these six conversations between doctors and patients by writing in the name of the illness. Use the informal terms from the table above.
1
What seems to be the rouble?
My eyes and my nose are running all the time.
I feel terrible.
When did this begin?
At the beginning of July.
It’s probably just ……………………
4
How are you today?
Oh, not very well. I’ve got a cough and a terrible cold.
Do you have a fever?
Umm, Yes I do.
It’s probably a touch of ……………………
2
What’s the problem?
It’s my son. He’s got a rash and swelling in his armpits.
Does he have a fever?
Yes.
Hmm. He may have ……………………
5
What’s the problem?
It’s my daughter; she’s got a fever and this swelling.
Where’s the swelling?
In her throat.
It could be ……………………

3
How are you feeling?
I’ve got this terrible cough
Mm-hmm.
And after I cough I make a noise when I try to breathe.
Sounds like ……………………
6
So, what can I do for you?
It’s the twins. They’re covered in these dreadful red spots.
Are they experiencing any itching?
Yes, they are.
It may be ……………………

ANSWER KEY
Exercise 1
Exercise 2
1
Chickenpox is the same as varicella
1
hay fever
2
A cold is the same as coryza
2
German measles
3
The flu is the same as influenza
3
whooping cough
4
German measles is the same as rubella
4
influenza
5
Hay fever is the same as allergic rhinitis
5
mumps
6
Measles is the same as rubeola
6
chickenpox
7
Mumps is the same as infectious parotitis


8
Whooping cough is the same as pertussis



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments