Tuesday 28 August 2018

COMPOUND NOUNS (1)


COMPOUND NOUNS
Exercise A
Choose the correct word to form a compound noun and write its number in the brackets.

Example
Many people are waiting at the ………………… stop (3)
1
train
3
traffic
2
bus
4
street


1
We are not allowed to wear ………………… rings to school.
1
eye
2
arm
3
ear
4
leg
2
Always put warm water into the tea ………………… before making the tea.
1
pot
2
dish
3
pan
4
bowl
3
What are you doing this week ………………… before making the tea.
1
finish
2
dish
3
end
4
bowl
4
Where did I leave my …………………bag?
1
foot
2
middle
3
toe
4
start
5
The exam will finish at mid ………………… exactly.
1
day
2
morning
3
night
4
afternoon
6
There are eleven players in a ………………… ball team.
1
leg
2
toe
3
foot
4
knee
7
I don’t feel well. I’ve got a head …………………
1
pain
2
hurt
3
ill
4
ache
8
Yesterday I sat on my ………………… glasses and broke them.
1
sunny
2
sun
3
shiny
4
suns
9
We would rather go to the ………………… side than the swimming.
1
beach
2
pool
3
river
4
sea
10
We need some more ………………… paste.
1
teeth
2
mouth
3
tooth
4
mouths
11
Children, please wait quietly in the ………………… room until the teacher arrives.
1
bed
2
bath
3
class
4
spare
12
Did you finish all your home …………………?
1
job
2
task
3
work
4
duty

Exercise B
Fill in the gaps with the correct noun from the box to make a compound noun.
arm
wall
bed
pans
dining
washer
book
table
living
house
machine
window

MY HOUSE
There are five rooms in my apartment. There are three (1) ____________ rooms: one for my parents, one for my brother and one for me. My room has pretty yellow (2) ____________ paper. There is a bed, a table and a big cupboard for my clothes. I like to lie on my bed and listen to my Walkman. In the (3) ____________ room there are three comfortable (4) ____________chairs, a sofa, a coffee table and lots of (5) ____________ shelves for my parents' books. In the middle of the kitchen there is the (6) ____________ table and six chairs. The table is covered with a pretty, red and white (7) ____________ cloth. The kitchen is big and light. There is a big window and my mother has
got lots of plants and herbs growing on the (8) ____________sill. The sauce (9) ____________are hanging up on the wall. We're lucky because we have a dish (10) ____________so I don't have to do the washing-up. But I do help my mother with other (11) ____________work, like dusting! In the kitchen, there is also a washing (12) ____________ for our weekly laundry. I really like
my home. What's your house like?

Exercise C
Fill in the gaps with the correct noun from the box to make a compound noun.
wind
surf
foot
volley
goal
water
lines
week
motor
basket

SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES
Doing sport or other activities is good for your health. Most people know how to play (1) ____________ ball. This is the game with eleven players on each side. They try to win by kicking or heading the ball into a net between two (2) ____________ posts. As well as the players, there is a referee and two (3) ____________ men. Another good game is (4) ____________ball. It is called this because the two teams score points by throwing the ball into baskets at each end of the court. A lot of people play (5) ____________ ball too. This is a game with four to six players on each side. You have to hit the ball over a net with your hands. You must try to hit it so that the other team cannot get it. This is a popular game that people play on the beach. But if I'm at the beach, I prefer to be in the water. I can (6) ____________ surf and (7) ____________ ski. My uncle has a (8) ____________boat and he takes me and my cousin waterskiing at the (9) ____________ends. Sometimes I do ordinary surfing too. My parents bought me a new (10) ____________board last year. When I don't go to the beach, I do a lot of sports at school and go swimming in the pool.

ANSWER KEY
Exercise A
Exercise B
Exercise C
1
3
1
bed
1
foot
2
1
2
wall
2
goal
3
3
3
living
3
lines
4
4
4
arm
4
basket
5
1
5
book
5
volley
6
3
6
dining
6
wind
7
4
7
table
7
water
8
2
8
window
8
motor
9
4
9
pans
9
week
10
3
10
washer
10
surf
11
3
11
house


12
3
12
machine



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments