Wednesday 29 August 2018

GRAMMAR 3 FUTURE TIME (PART 1)


GRAMMAR 3

FUTURE TIME

PREDICTION
·           Will
Will is used to make predictions. It is often preceded by I think or by opinion words like perhaps. There is often a future time expression.
I think it’ll rain tomorrow. Perhaps she’ll be  late
In speech will is contracted to ‘ll
·           Going to
Going to is also used for predictions. It is especially common when we can see the cause of the event.
Look out! There’s a bus coming! It’s going to hit us!
I can see you’re going to have a baby. When is it due?
You’re going to fall!
Going to is also common in impersonal statements.
Liverpool are going to win the cup.
We can also use will for most impersonal statements like this, with no change of meaning.
·           Future continuous
The future continuous is used to describe a situation in progress at a particular time in the future.
This time next week I expect I’ll be living in London. And I’ll probably be cycling to work.
·           Future perfect
The future perfect looks back from a point in the future.
By the time we get there, the film will have started.
It refers to indefinite time up to that point. This means that when we get to the future point we can say.
The film has started.

INTENTION
·           Going to
Going to is used to describe a present intention or plan. This is something we have already decided to do.
I’m going to fix the television tomorrow.
·           Will
Will is used for instant decisions made at the time of speaking.
I know, I’ll get him a wallet for his birthday.

FIXED ARRANGEMENTS AND TIMETABLES
·           Present continuous
The present continuous is used with a time expression to describe definite, fixed arrangements.
Sorry, I can’t help you. I’m leaving in the morning.
The arrangements are often social arrangements or appointments and may be written in a diary.
·           Present simple
The present simple is used with a time expression to describe future events which are based on a timetable, programme or a calendar.
My train leaves at 11.30 tomorrow morning.

When, until, as soon as
After the time expressions when, until, and as soon as , a present tense form is used, although this refers to future time.
I’ll wait for you here until you get back.
The present perfect simple is often used in cases like this to emphasize the completion of an event.
I’ll wait here until you have finished.


1.              Underline the most suitable future form in each sentence

1
Why are you going to buy/will you buy a new mountain bike?
2
Don’t phone between 8.00 and 9.00. I’ll study/I’ll be studying then.
3
Look out! That tree will/is going to fall.
4
Let me know as soon as Louise will get/gets there.
5
Great news! Jean and Chris will come/are coming to stay with us.
6
According to this timetable, the bus is going to arrive/arrives at 6.00.
7
Can you call me this evening, because I’ll leave/I’m leaving tomorrow.
8
If you arrive late at the sale, the best things will go/will have gone.

2.             Put each verb in brackets into a suitable form. More than one answer may be possible.
1
I can’t see you on Thursday afternoon. I (visit) __am visiting__ our Birmingham branch.
2
George (not be) ……………….. back until six. Can I take a message?
3
What (you buy) ……………….. with the money you won in the lottery?
4
I don’t think you (have) ……………….. any problems at the airport.
5
(you take) ……………….. your dog with you to Scotland.
6
All the hotels are full. Where (we spend) ……………….. the night?
7
You’d better not come in July. My mother (stay) ……………….. with me then.
8
What time (your plane leave) ………………..?

ANSWER KEY
1
2
1
are you going to buy
1
am visiting
2
I’ll be studying
2
won’t be
3
is going to
3
are you going to buy
4
gets
4
will have
5
are coming
5
are you taking/ are you going to take?
6
arrives
6
are we going to spend
7
I’m leaving
7
will be staying/ is staying
8
will have gone
8
does your plane leave







3.              

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments