Tuesday 21 August 2018

STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION SKILL 52: USE ARTICLES WITH SINGULAR NOUNS


LONGMAN COMPLETE COURSE FOR THE TOEFL TEST
STRUCTURE AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION

SKILL 52: USE ARTICLES WITH SINGULAR NOUNS

It is possible to have either the definite article the or no article (indefinite). With all countable singular nouns, however you must have an article (unless you have another determiner such as my or each
I have money.
uncountable – no article needed
I have books.
countable plural – no article needed
I have a book.
countable singular – article needed


The following chart chart outlines the key information that you should remember about articles with singular nouns:
EXERCISE 52: The following sentences contain different types of nouns. Circle only the countable singular nouns. Mark where articles (or determiners) have been omitted. Then indicate if the sentences are correct (C) or incorrect (I).

 
……………
3
The manager sent memo to his employees.
……………
4
There is a car in front of the building.
……………
5
The child and his friends are having milk and cookies.
……………
6
She is studying to be an actress in films.
……………
7
My neighbour was arrested for throwing rocks through windows.
……………
8
We have machinery that prints ten pages each minute.
……………
9
Teacher has many students during semester.
……………
10
Can you heat water for tea


ANSWER KEY
1
I
(should be a trip)
2
C

3
I
(should be a memo)
4
I
(should be a car)
5
C

6
C

7
C

8
C

9
I
(should be A teacher)
10
C



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments